Took the test today - got 650

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Took the test today - got 650

by srican » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:40 pm
Hello:

I took GMAT today and got 650. I had planned to prepare well for a few months when I registered in Nov 2006, but you know what happens with planning :)

Finally, I got down to preparing seriously from Jan 1st 2007 only. With just 3 weeks of preparation, I'm satisfied with my score.

Some of the tools I used were:

1. Princeton Review - The book is really good and gives you a lot of tips. The DVD is very poor. Don't buy it. Their website was also ok with a few practice tests.

2. Power Prep - Has a great intro to Quants. The 2 tests I took gave me a score less than 600 but I wasn't doing full justice to the tests anyway.

3. BeatTheGMAT website. The downloads were awesome particularly Eric's flashcards and the sentence correction notes. I found PR sentence correction to be a good intro as well.

4. Took the online free test in KAPLAN. I got 680 on it. It was useful to get a feel for the test as well.

One thing that got me today was time. I almost ran out of time in both Quants and Verbal. I spent more time on the first 10 questions, but it was just a shade more than you need to, so in the end, I had to make a few guesses. I could have got 30 to 50 points higher, if I had managed time well.

Thanks to the forum for all the helpful tips and downloads.

SR.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by limits660 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:59 pm
Congrats on the score. Im sure you put alot of hard work and it sure paid off. Im due to take the exam next month. Was just wondering how the GMATPrep question in the quant section compared to the ones on the actual test? Were they are fair representation to the real thing? Any insight on this would be great.
-
Jeff Sacco
www.jeffsacco.ca

by srican » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:14 pm
Hi There.

Yes, I think the Quant in Power Prep is pretty close to the actual GMAT. In fact, a few questions that I saw today seemed familiar from the Power Prep Test.

Good Luck !!

SR.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by limits660 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:02 pm
Hi

Thanks for answering my question so quickly. I do have a clarifying question, when you said 'powerprep', are you refering to the original release or the newest release available from the GMAT website. It's just there is an old and a new version and I believe you refered to the old version. Could you please clarify. Thanks :lol:

btw, where did you write the exam? (city and country)
-
Jeff Sacco
www.jeffsacco.ca

by srican » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:24 pm
The powerprep I used was the one that came by mail when I registered in November 2006. I'm not sure if this is the latest or not.

I took the test in Maryland, USA.

SR.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 pm
how come i missed this thread???

yeah
congrats. for the score. :)

the Powerprep the simulation software for practice test: what was the size of that? ~9 MB or ~25 MB?

if you tell us that it ll clear Jeffs doubt i think. :)

the newer version is of 25 MB & is called just GMAT prep...
earlier version is called ( GMAT Power Prep )