Problem Solving

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Problem Solving

by phoenix9801 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:15 am
Using this formula D=R*T can someone please show me the most simplest way I can solve this hard problem. Please explain in the most simplest way possible and in details. Thanks

If you can show me how to solve both ways like backward solving, picking number, and algebraically I would greatly appreciate it.

If Dan has increased his average speed by 20 miles per hour, he would have decreased the time it took him to drive from his job to a certain restaurant by 25%. What was Dan's actual average speed, in miles per hour, when he drove from his job to the restaurant.

a) 30
b) 40
c) 45
d) 50
e) 60

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 am
avg speed = s, given speed increased by 20 miles/hr so new speed = s+20
actual time = t, after change in speed new time = 0.75t
distance covered = D

Now both the distances are same only the speed and time changes.

d = speed * time

Since both the distances are equal, you can equate them

s*t = (s+20)*0.75t
st = 0.75st + 15t
0.25st = 15t
0.25s = 15
s = 60

IMO E.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 pm
phoenix9801 wrote:Using this formula D=R*T can someone please show me the most simplest way I can solve this hard problem. Please explain in the most simplest way possible and in details. Thanks

If you can show me how to solve both ways like backward solving, picking number, and algebraically I would greatly appreciate it.

If Dan has increased his average speed by 20 miles per hour, he would have decreased the time it took him to drive from his job to a certain restaurant by 25%. What was Dan's actual average speed, in miles per hour, when he drove from his job to the restaurant.

a) 30
b) 40
c) 45
d) 50
e) 60
He would have decreased the time it took him to drive from his job to a certain restaurant by 25%.
Time and rate are RECIPROCALS.
For the trip to take 3/4 of the actual time -- 1/4 less -- Dan would need to travel at 4/3 of his actual speed.
In other words, he would need to travel 1/3 faster than his actual speed.
Since the given increase in speed is 20mph, we get:
(1/3)r = 20
r = 60.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3