33%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please rate my analysis of issue essay

by erukumk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:50 am
All groups and organizations should function as teams in which everyone makes decisions and shares responsibilities and duties. Giving one person central authority and responsibility for a project or task is not an effective way to get work done.”

The issue of whether to work in groups or not is not an easy one to make as it depends on the context and type of organization or group. On the one hand, collective decision making has its own advantages: close coordination within the group, generation of ideas and variety of inputs on the situation. On the other hand, a hierarchal organization structure has its own advantages: managers can use their skill to make decisions, act rapidly in response to a situation and can assign responsibilities to individuals and groups. yet I believe that working in small teams is lot more efficient than working as individuals

Firstly, working in teams is especially beneficial in product development teams where inputs from each member of team are carefully evaluated to make the product better. This type of working method is also useful in solving critical issues with the product. Product development companies such as Apple and Intel are good examples of this kind of organization structure. Individual groups are given the responsibility of creating a product and each team member is a stake holder in the outcome of the development. Working in teams enables them to work closely in solving issues, generation of new ideas.

Secondly, Synergy also comes into picture, working in teams, as there is a healthy competition in work, generation of work and it aids in the final outcome of the product. During an ox pull competition in Canada, the strongest ox pulled 9000 pounds and the second best pulled just a few pounds short of that. it was then debated how much the two oxen could pull if hitched together, some said 17000, some said 18000 and the most optimistic said 19000. The two oxen pulled 26000 pounds together and disapproved the notion that one plus one sums up to two, it is in fact lot more that two.

yet, some might argue that working in hierarchal organization, managers can use their experience and skill to steer the organizations through tough time. This might seem true at a first glance, yet it is convincing enough. The best of the organizations with hierarchal structure have core teams working on parts of issues to give thorough insights to the top brass and aid them in making informed decisions.

In sum, I concur that teams are more beneficial to the organizations than individuals working isolatedly. Teams provide better results, better products and better productivity.