Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Vishwa » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 pm
Hi,

I have an experience of 3.5 years in IT (Tech Mahindra).
B.Tech IT - 73%
My GMAT Score is 640(Q40,V39) ,AWA - 5

I am planning to apply to :
1) Scheller College of Business (Georgia Institute)
2) Goizueta Business School (Emory University)
3) McCombs School of Business (University of Texas, Austin)
4) College of Business (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
5) Smeal college of business (The Pennsylvania State University)
6) Krannert School of Management (Purdue)

Please let me know what my chances are getting into any of these? If the score isn't sufficient ,please tell me how much of a score would be required (As I am planning to retake again).

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:19 am
Hi Vishwa,

Thank you for your post!

Emory and McCombs are the higher-ranked programs on your list and, therefore, will have higher admissions statistics in their class profiles. For instance, McCombs reported an average GMAT of 690 for their most recent b-school class. Another thing to keep in mind is that as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting MBA programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. Moreover, b-schools will be looking for evidence of your leadership and management experience. So, you will want to consider related responsibilities that you have had in your career. Another factor will be your career goals; you'll need to establish a clear vision for want you want to achieve and, therefore, why you need an MBA to achieve those goals.

In other words, in order to be more competitive at these business schools, you will need to establish your relevant leadership experience, career goals and why you need an MBA. Your academic stats look sound for the list; however, a higher GMAT score could help you be more competitive, especially considering your relatively common IT and Indian background.

Best of luck!
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vishwa » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:01 am
Hi Elliot

Thank you so much for your reply.

Although I am planning to take the test again , I would like to know if my current score is sufficient for the other 4 (excluding Emory and McCombs). And can u please also tell me what would be a reasonable score to get into McCombs or Emory ?

Thanks
Vishwa