710 - Q50/V35 - short debrief

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

710 - Q50/V35 - short debrief

by durgesh79 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm
AWA - usual argument and issues, I had a template in mind. Finished it within time limit but dint get enough time to proof read the argument essay. I make a lot of spelling mistakes while typing so there could some typos. Not sure how much it’ll affect the score. Fingers crossed.

Took a break.

Math : I’m an engineer (by qualification) so math is a strong point for. I’ve scored well in practice tests and I could complete the math section with average 10-15 minutes to go. But this GMAT math section was a killer. When I clicked the last question the clock was showing 0:03. It gave me couple of easy questions in the beginning and then it started the assault. Very – very difficult DS questions, I had to apply CR logic to solve one of them. Definitely it was way harder than GMATprep.
I think I’m fortunate that I got 50. After the test, I was expecting something in 40s.

Took a break, had a Red bull

Verbals : Same story as Math. Very difficult as compared to GMATperp. Started with an easy SC question and after few SCs and CR gave me a RC with very small passage, but in all the questions 2 answer choices were very close and I had to go back to passage again and again to verify my answers. Finally just clicked one and went ahead. CR is my strong area in verbal and I think I did well in CR. I dint get any bold face. Finished the section 3 minutes to go

Practice tests

GMAT prep1 – 750 (Q50/V41)
GMAT prep 1 (retake) – 730 (Q50/V38)
GMAT prep 2 – 730 (Q50/V37)
Princeton test 1 – 700 (Q50/V37)
MGMAT test 1 – 730 (Q49/V41)

I could have done better in Verbals. I was aiming for a Q50/V40 combination.

EDIT 1: I forgot the thank you note … Thanks to all… you guys are great…
EDIT 2 : the million $ question, should i ratake ? ... ( Guys i just want a lot of Nos.... cuase i'm least interested )

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:15 pm
Great work!

Remember that the GMAT is supposed to make you feel like you're doing terribly, by giving you harder and harder questions the better you do. Personally, I always feel terrible after the test - but the results always end up fine. :)

My opinion is that if you feel like you did really well... you probably didn't!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by durgesh79 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 pm
I agree...

One very important lesson learnt for me. I used to skip AWAs during practice tests. ... not a good idea...
i think its one of the reasons for my lower score in Verbals. With AWAs you actually have to go through two and half hours for focused brain activity before you even start the verbal section as compared to only 1 hr 15 minutes if you dont do AWA during practise....
i felt drained out in last half an hour of the exam.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm
khool score !!