Failed 580 (Q 50, V 20)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

Failed 580 (Q 50, V 20)

by codesnooker » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 am
I gave my GMAT on 12th Aug 08 and just got 580 (50Q, 20V). I don't have words to express my true feelings.

I studied for around some two months (only verbal) but unfortunately I was dumped in this section during the real GMAT. I even never revised any formula or something before the test or even weeks before the test in Quant and just concentrated on verbal, but still VERBAL :cry: . A week before I had given few practice test especially Kaplan and GMAT prep 2. Ironically my Kaplan scores were much higher than the GMAT prep score.

All these test I had given first time and all questions were new to me.

Kaplan #1 600 (41Q, 27V)
Kaplan #2 610 (42Q, 25V)
Kaplan #3 640 (41Q, 30V)
GMAT Prep#2 530 (47Q, 17V) (A week before the GMAT and worst score of my lifetime)

I don't know exactly what went wrong as I was working good initially but as the exams days were approaching nearer, my performance on the verbal was getting bitter and bitter.

For this failure, I don't want to blame nature/luck or anybody else but definitely somewhere I lacked in preparation.

I had taken a week holiday before the GMAT and used to study in nights and sleep in the daytime as there is ongoing construction nearby my house. My exam was in the afternoon shift and it was impossible for to change my sleeping habit on the last time. So, those who still have to give the shot, beware of your sleeping habits.

QUANT
During the practice test I used to make silly mistakes in the practice test, so in the real GMAT, I cross checked every answer and most important, after deriving the answer, I rechecked the question that what has asked to find. It really helped me during the exam as like this I corrected so many questions. During the test I was feeling sleepy even after having 2 red bulls, so I need to do cross checking to avoid the mistakes. Also I didn't give more than 4 minutes to any question, I tracked the time during the whole session. In case, if I crossed more than 4 minutes, I made educated guess based on my experience and moved on. It helped me to finish Quant on time. In GMAT, I felt that I was getting too easy questions and so I was worried whether I am doing correct.

VERBAL
Verbal always seems terrifying to me. And continuous diminishing verbal score with the days approaching the test, really broke my confidence. I was too depressed and scared a day before the test. But somehow, I decided to give the shot but it went all wrong. In GMAT, during the verbal section, I felt too much sleepy (as I wasn't slept from past 36 hours, I tried but didn't get sleep) and red bull wasn't help me much. Due continuously sitting on the chair for many past hours, I felt like my back was broken and hurting too much. But anyway, still Verbal question seems to me too easy and I thought that I am doing good, although the result were reversed.

AWA
I didn't prepare AWA at all (just saw once OG 11 sample solutions before the test). I managed to write AWA in the test without any problem, but still I don't know what well that was.

Presently, I am still in trauma and have not decided yet when to give next shot. May be this time I will prepare for couple of months. Those who still have to go, best of luck from side.

Despite of this failure, there are few positive things:-

1. There is still time to give the test for 2009 batch.
2. I can really improve my verbal.
3. There is chance to score 800 (If I had score some around 710 or nearby then may I would not give the test again).
4. It is good that I am in lowest level rather than dangling nearby the median score where one is always in dilemma of whether to give test again.

Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks,
CodeSnooker

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by senthil » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 am
Hi codesnooker,
You missed one more +ve point.... U have proved ur excellence in Quant in REAL GMAT.. Now Verbal is not too tough as you may think ... See everybody who started off their preparation wud start off with low verbal scores only .. Its only after continuous and strenuous preparation verbal score can really be improved and people have done it so its not that it is impossible.. Dont loose hope U CAN REALLY MAKE IT ...
Infact we are aiming at some score that is scored by atleast a million every year .. If you get a chance read about ABHINAV BINDRA ..

I havent given my GMAT yet .. I too loose my score in verbal but I still keep myself composed that GMAT verbal tests your techniques to handle the question rather than real language as in MPHIL in ENGLISH :D

ALL THE BEST ......
Senthil

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:07 pm
50 in Q without studying!! :shock:

Oh dear! Verbal verbal & verbal, thats all you did in your GMAT studies. Still you couldn't excel infact you just told us that you experienced a diminishing score at verbal.

Do you think you used wrong strategy preparing GMAT?
Can you compare your study methods with the some of the sucessful test takers?
Have you tried Manhattan GMAT's SC guide? I think that would help as its very effective to non-native English people. (including Indians)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT powerprep test-1: 530, Target real GMAT-700+

by v » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:13 am
:( Ya... buddy, It's really not a good news. After this much exercises No bidy going to accept that score.
I am at the same level as you, I took Gmat prep a day before, without any preparation, got (Q48, V16).
I suggest you : 1) Take a good sleep before Test, if possible not to study hard on a day before.
2) Try to include some practicle things into your verbal preparation.

bye buddy,
Vikas

Legendary Member

by codesnooker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 am
senthil wrote:Hi codesnooker,
You missed one more +ve point.... U have proved ur excellence in Quant in REAL GMAT.. Now Verbal is not too tough as you may think ... See everybody who started off their preparation wud start off with low verbal scores only .. Its only after continuous and strenuous preparation verbal score can really be improved and people have done it so its not that it is impossible.. Dont loose hope U CAN REALLY MAKE IT ...
Infact we are aiming at some score that is scored by atleast a million every year .. If you get a chance read about ABHINAV BINDRA ..

I havent given my GMAT yet .. I too loose my score in verbal but I still keep myself composed that GMAT verbal tests your techniques to handle the question rather than real language as in MPHIL in ENGLISH :D

ALL THE BEST ......
Senthil
Hi Senthil,

Thanks for boosting up my moral. I think for anyone it hardly matters whether the subject/topic is tough or easy, but yes accordingly one need to prepare for it. I think same for me too, The day I started my preparation, I was zero in English. Though I pursued my education in English Medium only but I always studying and enjoying Hindi. All the rules stated in the MH-SC, I heard first time in my life. So during the first practice test (before studying books for GMAT), I marked each answer in verbal section on guess basis. I think, I had hardly marked any answer with full confidence.

After studying for few day, though I didn't improve much in the verbal section but it's true that I was sure about most of the correct answers. The problem after reaching at a certain level in Verbal, just two weeks before the real GMAT, my score starts declining instead of improving. And the result is I scored lowest in Verbal as compare to all my practice tests. I still didn't understand what exactly went wrong at the last few days.

Secondly, I have no doubt about clearing the GMAT. Certainly I will do and others too. But in my life, there so many things depended about the clearing the GMAT. And I know that best time was the date on which I had given the test. You know, something I believe that, "Suppose, one loves eating toffee/cakes but he hardly has any money to buy it. He works hard for his whole life to save money to full fill his desires but the day he is capable of buying the toffee/cakes, he can't eat it because of poor stomach. In short, though he achieve his desire but he can't enjoy it anymore." Something, I have also same in my life. What I think, I can have it my life, no matter how impossible it was for me. But the time I get it, I have lost interest in that thing."

So, I have no doubt clearing the GMAT, but what I feat that whether again it's too late in life, when I can't use it.

Long and weird story.... anyway.... best of luck to you and all for your GMAT and application process.

May be see you sometime in US/India.

Thanks for reading it.

Legendary Member

by codesnooker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:44 am
aim-wsc wrote:50 in Q without studying!! :shock:

Oh dear! Verbal verbal & verbal, thats all you did in your GMAT studies. Still you couldn't excel infact you just told us that you experienced a diminishing score at verbal.

Do you think you used wrong strategy preparing GMAT?
Can you compare your study methods with the some of the sucessful test takers?
Have you tried Manhattan GMAT's SC guide? I think that would help as its very effective to non-native English people. (including Indians)
Indeed that's true aim-wsc. I just did once OG 11 in the first week of preparation and sometimes replied to the Quants questions on this forum. I feel boasted to say this that during the XII standard, when my math teacher used to give the questions for the practice/discuss, I used to replied him back with the correct answer at the same moment he finished speaking the question. I used to solve them in my mind without evening touching the pen. But I am not a IITian, I did my engineering from a private small college. Anyway that is somewhat the event of 8 years ago. I guess, I still have bit of that power.

Yes, I did MH-SC twice. My study strategy is somewhat derived from Mukul's blog (your friend Mukul). If you wish I can mail the strategy on this forum or may be send PM to you. Then we can together do the postmortem.

My weak areas are mainly: Social RC passages, Tense based SC questions, in CR there is no specific area but yes if I lost focus in CR then definitely it goes wrong.

Legendary Member
v wrote::( Ya... buddy, It's really not a good news. After this much exercises No bidy going to accept that score.
I am at the same level as you, I took Gmat prep a day before, without any preparation, got (Q48, V16).
I suggest you : 1) Take a good sleep before Test, if possible not to study hard on a day before.
2) Try to include some practicle things into your verbal preparation.

bye buddy,
Vikas
Dear Vikas,

You will find strange to hear that somewhere my mind also wants the same result. Why? because before the day of the test, I realized that still I am poor in English and if I would clear it this time, then definitely I would not be going to study it anymore. So I think, whatever happened is just good for me, as now I do have chance as well as aim to study English.

No more hard feeling. :D

Good Luck...

Regards,
CodeSnooker