Calculating Overall score from Quant and Verbal percentiles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:650
Hi all,

Does anyone know if a lookup table exists showing a conversion from Quant and Verbal percentiles to the Overall percentile/score?

Realistically, I think I can get a 75th percentile in Verbal but my Quant score is currently straddling the 55th percentile. I want to see what sort of overall percentile/score I can get if I am able to raise my Quant score to the 75th percentile.

My understanding is that you can just average the 2 scores. Does anyone know how GMAC calculate the overall percentile score? Can someone explain or point me in the right direction?

Huge thanks in advance!
Jon

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:55 am
The percentiles vary slightly from year to year depending on the test takers. For instance, 750 used to be 99th percentile, but now you have to get 760 to get 99th percentile. However, an approximate conversion chart is published in most test prep books. Out books have the chart in the front of our arguments book.

I know for sure that the overall percentile is not an average of the two percentiles. For instance, I have seen 83 percentile math 99 percentile verbal scale to 99 percentile overall. The chart is your decoder ring; I would be surprised if your materials don't have it.

On a seperate but related note, different raw scores can calculate to the same final score. There's a good thread about it here: https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat/17371-h ... cores.html

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep