hey folks,
my passport has the details
given names: VIKRAM REDDY
SURNAME: SATHYA

When I registered for the test I entered my name as
Name: Vikram
middle name: reddy
surname: sathya

As such the name and order matches but in my Indian passport my middle name is combined with my name since there is no middle name column.. Is this an issue? Cos my given name in my passport and GMAT registered name (without the middle name) don't match exactly?

Has any one faced this? I'm taking it on Tuesday 29th so I need to know this urgently..anything i can do to fix this if it is an issue? And will i be able to get it rectified in time for tuesday? Please help!!!! thanks

Ps. I'm an Indian passport holder so I can't present any other id.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:21 am
I did the same thing last year and did not have any problems at the test centre. I hope the same is the case with you.
Wish you good luck
Prasanna

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

passport has no middle name

by fatalmilk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 am
Prasana,

Thank you for you reply. Which test centre did you take your exam at? Im taking this at Chennai. I'm still stressed out about this.

What would be your suggestion about the best course of action. Get it clarified from the testing centre?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:32 am
I took it in US. If you are taking it in Chennai, the best bet would be to contact the test centre directly.
Wish you good luck
Prasanna

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am
My sis had a similar problem for the GRE. The response she got back was that if the names on the registration matched the names on the passport, then the order didnt really matter ( They were referring to the middle name bein combined with the surname) Shouldnt be a problem for you also. Of course, always best to check

Legendary Member

by reachac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:16 am
I suggest that insted of taking a chance, why dont you call up GMAC customer cell and just confirm. Don keep it to chance, it all creates an unneccessary presuure on the already taxed mind on the test day.

Cheers and all the best for tuesday :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:33 pm
US passports also just use given name (showing first and middle) and surname - there isn't a separate row for middle name. We have to do the same thing. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by cjb » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:21 am
I have the opposite problem - my UK passport and driving licence have my full name (Christopher James Barton), but my mba.com login has my name as James Barton. (James is my given name).

I can't call the GMAC offices before the exam (8.30 tomorrow morning), I can't change my name on mba.com at this point, and I don't want to apply with the threat of having my score cancelled hanging over my head.

Unless anyone can see a way out, I think I have to cancel, forfeit the fee, and reschedule as soon as possible.

Any relevant experiences or suggestions?
80% of success is showing up -- Woody Allen

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 am
Just show up at the testing center tomorrow morning and ask them what to do. If they accept you (that is, allow you to take the test), then they have accepted your confirmed identity and there shouldn't be a problem (and you can use that as a defense if they do try to question things later - but as long as you are you, you can show them any additional identification or proof they require, so you should be fine).

If the test center doesn't accept you as things stand now, the people there may be able to change your name in their system and then accept you. If they don't accept you and can't change anything, then you won't have a choice, because they won't even let you in - which would suck, but there would be nothing to do.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members

by Ian Stewart » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 pm
That's an unfortunate issue. I have heard stories of test centres being quite strict about spelling differences between the name on a passport and the name used for registration, but I don't know whether it will matter if your middle name is missing. I agree with Stacey that you do not have much to lose by showing up at the test centre; in the worst case, you'll be turned away and will need to re-register. In any case, if you go to the test centre tomorrow, try to show up early, and don't let it stress you too much - it's important to be thinking clearly on test day. Good luck!
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT Score:770

by cjb » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:44 pm
Doesn't seem to be my weekend, as I've developed a cold as well. If I feel good tomorrow morning I'll go along and try to take it. Wish me health!
80% of success is showing up -- Woody Allen

by visa1416 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 am
My passport doesnot have a "middle name " section.However it has father's name section wherein I have my middle name (father's name is the same as middle name for me).I have just the first name and last name sections on my passport ID page.

My MBA.com registration has a middle name along with the first and last names.Is it a problem?

(ps: my national ID card has all the 3 names in the right order)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:47 am
I'm a little confused - you said that your passport has a "father's name" section and then you said that it has "just the first name and last name sections." Is the middle name in there but just on a different page than the main ID page with your picture and the first and last name sections? If so, I would think that's fine (though I have not encountered this particular situation before, so I don't know for sure).

And if a certain country does not put middle names on passports, then I would think the Pearson people would/should be aware of that - I would think it would be part of their job to know the standards for passports of various countries. (Again, I don't know for sure that they have done the research.)

You may want to call the specific testing center where you're scheduled to take your test, or even stop by with your materials ahead of time, and ask them whether everything is okay. You don't want to walk into your test with the nagging worry / anxiety that they may turn you away!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by visa1416 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Yes , My father's name is on a different page.I will go to the center and confirm whether thats okay.

Thanks for your reply!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by poojarani.cn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 am
Hi i have a clarification, pls help me out.... In passport my name is Poojarani Chennai Natarajan but in the GRE registration my friend has included First Name:Poojarani
Middle Name:C and Last name:Natarajan. But the problem is that my authorization voucher displayes my name as Poojarani Natarajan....Will this be accepted...i'm tensed.....