Strategy for last few weeks

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Strategy for last few weeks

by erjamit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 am
Hi,

My GMAT date is 08/20. I need some help regarding how to study for the next 4-5 weeks.

I have studied the following:-

- Manhattan SC.
- OG 11 and Quant/Verbal Reviews
- Kaplan 800 (I didn't liked it except the RC, Quant was easy)

After, my previous post on no improvement, I improved a bit. I have improved on some of my weak areas

I now use a stop-watch to check how much time I take to answer a question. I am not very comfortable answering when I have time ticking in my head.

My plan is as follows:-

- Do the Hard/Medium problems of OG10 as per the grid.
- Take one GMAT CAT every weekend at 1:15pm, the exact time for my real GMAT.
- Solve ETS paper sets.

Pls guide me, how should I approach the last few weeks.

Thanks
Amit

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm
It sounds like you have a pretty good plan down! My recommendations are to focus more on improving your weak areas (since you still have a couple of weeks before your actual exam), and maybe to pay attention to your pacing. However, don't be TOO focused on spending the exact same amount of time per question, since difficult questions will naturally take more time to finish than the easier ones; but do know whether you're spending too much time on a question, and if it might just be time to move on to the next.

Try not to change your routine the day of the test - for example, if you usually wake up at noon, don't try to wake up at the crack of dawn to get some extra studying in. I also recommend NOT studying the day of, or the night before, the test, so that you're more calm and relaxed for it.

Lastly, keep in mind that you won't be allowed to bring a watch or stop watch into the testing facility, so if you're not JUST counting down (or up) the time it takes for the entire section (for example, if you're resetting the watch after every question or every block of questions), you should get out of the habit of doing that.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep