Strategy - improve Q from 35-42

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Strategy - improve Q from 35-42

by bbuisson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm
Prior to my first GMAT I did the entire OG11 and the math supplement. I felt pretty confident on Math and had been scoring between a 38-41 on the CATs. However, I scored a 35 on test day....what strategy should I employ to improve my score to the low 40's in 30 days.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 pm
Hi bbuisson,

It sounds like you may have psyched yourself out on the day of the actual test. How was your pacing in the math section? Also, do you remember if there were specific types of questions that you were getting wrong (for example, geometry)? If there were, I'd suggest targeting those sections and doing more practice problems, or even going over the ones you have already done so that you can get more experience in figuring out exactly why the correct answer are correct.

Finally, I recommend to all my students to NOT study the day of the test. This helps keep you more relaxed and ready to take the test. Also, try not to change your routine the day of.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bbuisson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
thanks Jim. I honestly don't recall having problems with specific question types...I felt pretty good, actually. I think I was so pumped up that i likely mis-read questions...I think the nerves are the biggest factor. Obviously I need to brush up on a few things, but all in all I think I was just terribly up-tight.

Thanks for the advice!