Howz the speed?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

Howz the speed?

by codesnooker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:48 pm
Hi,

Last night I got a chance to pick up the OG Quantitative Review book and I solved 40 questions in the night and another 60 questions today morning from the problem solving section.

I done this in a set of 20 questions at a time + keep the time record for every section + checked answer doing each set + note down all the mistakes.

I get 88 correct out of 100 questions and out of 12 mistakes, 11 were due to carelessness/hoping over the questions.

Calculated Average time for each question is 1 minute 28.2 seconds.

I don't know but I find all these 100 questions pretty easy and got only one conceptually wrong answer.

Am I undermining these questions?
Howz the speed? Should it be more or less?

Any suggestions?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jasonc » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 pm
they may seem easy, and time may seem plentiful, but a lot of that can be attributed to doing questions from all difficulty levels. Read my experience with the PS section of the OG in my 'I beat the gmat thread post'.

I'd recommend keeping watch of your time on each individual question as opposed to sets of questions (doing questions in sets was a mistake of mine, refer to my experience post). The only reason to do questions in sets is to practice your stamina.

Specifically for you, if you're aiming for a 48-51 on the quant, you should remember that after the first 6-7 questions, you'll be getting hard questions for the rest of the test. Another thing to remember is that typically a hard DS question will take longer to get correct than a PS question (on the otherhand, it may be easier/faster to make an educated guess on a hard DS question than a hard PS question)
I beat the GMAT! 760 (Q49/V44)

Legendary Member

by codesnooker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm
Hmm Jasonc! I read your post on the day itself when you posted it. In fact, I browse this forum daily but stop answering the questions these days. Another thing I am not prepared as your were in your initial days. I took first GMAT Prep without studying last month and scored: 540 (Q50, V19). So I pretty screwed up in verbal.

I have kept the record of timings for individual questions. The max time taken for any question is about 2.5 minutes (the question that requires too much calculations).

Here are my few future considerations:-

1. I am planing to finish Qunat review by this Sunday and OG 11 Quant section by next Sunday (I still have to see how many questions are there?).
2. I guess I can finish 100 questions of quant on per day basis
3. I am thinking of increasing the set size from 20 to 37 in order to match the stamina for GMAT.

My further doubts:-

Apart from OG, from where to get hard questions on Quant. Though I read OG is sufficient but I think doing more is not harmful.
Last edited by codesnooker on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 pm
OG Quantitative Review book questions at very best are in the range of 600-700.

Legendary Member

by codesnooker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm
netigen wrote:OG Quantitative Review book questions at very best are in the range of 600-700.
Where to get 700+ level questions?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jasonc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:23 am
I agree that OG, at least the none section specific one, doesn't seem to have nearly enough difficult problems.
I've heard that the mgmat quant questions are pretty difficult and may be more representitive of what you'll see when aiming for a high score.

At the same time, I don't have personal experience with mgmat prep material, but lots of other forum memebers have as I'm sure you've read.
I beat the GMAT! 760 (Q49/V44)

Legendary Member

by codesnooker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:12 am
Unfortunately I am not able to get the MGMAT qunat guides and Kaplan Mathwork in Hyderabad, India. In fact, I visited to crossword showroom, the situation is even worse over there. They don't have even those materials that one can get at the normal bookshops.

As of no choice, like others I am going too with file sharing sites but its not enough as you won't get them all.

Apart from that I touched MGMAT's FDP last week but that's pretty too easy. Though I haven't given GMAT in real but still I don't feel that they are up to the mark.

I heard Kaplan 800 is bit tough and its available over here. Should I go with that?

Any comments for improving the VERBAL as I am really f---ed up in it. I am planing to finish all the quant problems from all the books and then to jump over Verbal section.

Thanks in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ptgbeauregard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 pm
GMATFocus has some pretty tough (albeit a limited amount of) quant questions. An added bonus is that it is timed and it has the same GUI as the actual GMAT, except that you don't confirm your answer when you're done.

It will also give you a breakdown of your performance in a number of different areas.

It's helped me -- I hope. I don't take the test until Monday.
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)