Error log and Improvement chart

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Error log and Improvement chart

by casalily » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 am
I took a variation on the 60 day guide and finished all the MGMAT Quant books and now I'm working on the OG 12 sample PS questions. When I did my first 40 questions, I found that I finished it in 1 hr 5 mins (only 2 mistakes). When I worked on the next 40, it took me 1 hr 14 mins (8 mistakes - 5 careless) and the most recent 40 took 1 hr 42 mins (9 mistakes). My test date is on the 29th of Sept and I'm working on finishing the remaining MGMAT Verbal as I work on OG but should I be worried about the progress I'm making? I can't tell if I'm doing well or not in Quant. Any tips?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 am
I should point out that the questions in the Official Guides are arranged in order of difficulty, so your results are perfectly natural.
It's hard to get a true assessment of your quant skills by doing OG questions only.
I suggest taking a practice test (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx)
Don't worry - you can retake these tests more than once. Here's an article on the topic: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by casalily » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:57 pm
That calms me down a little. I was going to take the GMAT Test #1 for the second time after I finished the MGMAT Quant and OG Quant questions. I wanted to check if there was any improvement after doing practice questions. Would you suggest I try one now without finishing the OG Quant questions or after I finish the OG questions?

Thanks for such prompt feedback! It really helped!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 pm
casalily wrote:That calms me down a little. I was going to take the GMAT Test #1 for the second time after I finished the MGMAT Quant and OG Quant questions. I wanted to check if there was any improvement after doing practice questions. Would you suggest I try one now without finishing the OG Quant questions or after I finish the OG questions?

Thanks for such prompt feedback! It really helped!
I guess it depends on how long you can wait :-)
There's really no big benefit to taking the test earlier than later.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com