Help Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help Help

by tibgmat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:56 pm
Hello,

I have take GMAT for the first time after 3 months of preperation and ended with disapponting score of 510(V-15 Q-47). This is the lowest score i have ever got. In practice test i use to score somewhere between 560-620. I really don't know what went wrong. I am screwed up in english.

MAB is one career i always want to persue. And i can't just give it up on that.

For preparation i used

Kaplan 800
GMAT official guide

Practice Test
Princeton
Kaplan
GMAT prep.

I am 27 year old guy with bad reading habit and does a lot of spelling mistake. I am working on reading faster and improving the comprehension. (But i am not sure is it possible to do that at such an age). This score have shattered my confidence a lot..... i am trying to push myself to start over again and this time concentrate on week areas.
Please help me in to plan my strategy to get my target score of 680+.
Please help me to motivate myself.. i have been trying to improve upon on my week areas fm long.. but have not given significant result.. it may be because i m not able to work consistently..

please help me to motivate myself and get admitted to my dream cource

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 pm
I appreciate your persistence.

I would suggest you share information on your areas of weakness in Verbal so that you could get a more useful reply from the experts on the forum. On you post, I would like to mention the following;

a) You dont need to an expert in reading to score good in VA. I suspect that you fundamentals are weak and you should work to fix that. You should read the basic grammar text books that you used in school. I know its difficult but the task is cut out.

b) You should clearly identify where you make mistakes. At the end of the day GMAT is another structured exam and hence knowing it well will help you to overcome your shortcomings to some extent. Concentrate your efforts on how to attack the question types on VA.

c) Your quant score is good. But you are seeking an improvement of 170 points. I would not discourage you on this count but at the same time would like to point out that this is a very challenging goal.