Stamina Weakness

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Stamina Weakness

by resilient » Wed May 21, 2008 3:48 pm
Excellent news,

In reagrds to my pracitce scores, I am seeing a correlatiion between my scores and my studying. The mystery behind my lowering of scores was that my stamina is not quite there. In other words, my battery is depleting before the exam. How do I build my endurance and keep FRESH throughout the entire exam? This is my final hurdle. My 700 is extremely close by.

The know how is there but the energy toward the end of the exam is not there. I am able to answer the questions correctly but I get way to foggy towards the last half of the verbal section. How can i fix this specific problem. I dont think there is a specific rule but I bet there are certain things to round about.
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed May 21, 2008 4:48 pm
There are few different aspects you could look at:

a) Exercise regularly - Physical fitness does help you build the stamina required for the exam

b) Have high protein food - particularly before the exam

c) Build your prep sessions in such a way that you spend 2 hrs non stop at a time. This will help you practice for the endurance required on the exam.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Wed May 21, 2008 9:27 pm
Another piece of advice that I give all my students is to take the breaks that are offered between sections. Personally, I go splash some cold water on my face and go for a run outside (not far, just a block or so). I find that doing so really clears my head.

Also, the better you get at using tricks and estimating in math, the fresher your mind will be for verbal. Similarly, have a template for the essays - it's pretty easy to have half your essay written in your head before the exam even begins, again saving energy.

Finally, many students find that the "rush" on test day is enough to get them through 3.5 hours of GMAT torture!

Good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep