Study Plan Help Request

This topic has expert replies
2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

Study Plan Help Request

by gkumar » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm
Hi All,

I have about 4-6 months to prepare for the GMAT and I am thinking I will take it in September 2008. I am fairly strong in math and average in verbal to score 600-650 with ease. My weaknesses lie in silly math mistakes, probability, grammar, difficult verbal questions, and pacing.

I've been collecting GMAT books and would like your advice to help formulate a study plan for the remaining 4 months with study days 3x a week after work (3-4 hours a day).
1) OG11
2) OG11 Math
3) OG11 Verbal
4) Kaplan 2006
5) Kaplan GMAT 800 2006
6) Princeton Review 2008
7) Kaplan GMAT Course Book 2006 (used)
8) All 7 or 8 Manhattan GMAT Books

I have few questions:
1) What books would you add to this list to address my weaknesses or gaps?
2) How should I structure my study plan with the above listed books for 4 months, 3x a week, 3-4 hours a day preparation schedule?
3) What other materials would you suggest in preparing that is not on this list?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Munna

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 pm
1) What books would you add to this list to address my weaknesses or gaps?

You already have too much listed out there. The quality of prep is more important. The only thing I can say is OG is a must.

2) How should I structure my study plan with the above listed books for 4 months, 3x a week, 3-4 hours a day preparation schedule?

I would suggest you look at the resources section on this forum to see Eric's study plan. There is no fixed template that can provide you with a plan. You need to create your own based on your strengths and weaknesses.

3) What other materials would you suggest in preparing that is not on this list?

None

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rathi.prabhat » Fri May 09, 2008 2:49 am
I suppose the material u hav mentioned is enough for now.Complete all those books and thn u can go on practicin and more practicing...

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Fri May 09, 2008 3:12 am
Regarding Study Plan, you may start like me:-

Step 1: Download GMAT prep from www.mba.com and give first prep test. (May skip the AWA section for the moment).

Step 2: Check the score and identify the areas of mistake.

Step 3: Do the SWOT analysis and identify the problematic on both Quant and Verbal.

Step 4: Pick up the section that seems nightmare to you in both Verbal and Quant. (you must identified it by now).

Step 5: Now make a detailed 15 days plan to cover up problematic sections in order of decreasing difficulties. (It doesn't mean that you have to cover all the areas with in 15 days, but at least cover those what seem feasible to you).

Step 6: Purchase a diary and note down all the analysis you have done on the respective date.

Step 7: Work accordingly to your plan and daily note down your progress in the dairy.

Step 8: At the end of 15 days, either again give the GMAT Prep 1 or any other practice test (i.e. from MH or Kaplan).

Step9: Again analyze your mistakes and do SWOT analysis.

Step 10: Check the speed of preparation with your previously made plan, is it okay, fast or slow? Do the necessary adjustment and make a new 15 days detailed plan layout.

Step 11: Again give the practice test. Check the performance again.

Step 12: I WILL THINK OF THIS WHEN I WILL REACH AT STEP 11.

For the moment I am at Day 5 of step 7. However, I have squeezed the period of 15 days to 13 days and decided to give practice test and to work on strategy at alternative Sundays.

This is my strategy, you may work on your own.
To know about my progress check the link:-
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-first-gma ... 10474.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am
You can take a look at my blog found in my signature. You can also do a search on my posts as I have answered several questions very similar to yours in the past regarding what order books should be worked and which cats to take when.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ptgbeauregard » Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 pm
Another good tip is that while you're not "studying" try to read critically...newspaper, books, internet. After every paragraph, try and ask yourself -- what was the author trying to accomplish there? This may also help for SC, as some of the "rules" i've heard on here would make my head explode if I tried to remember them all. I have been reading for a long time, and the more frequently I do it the more easily I can pick out SC without referencing an excel table in my head.
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)