My Study Plan: GMAT May 21

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

My Study Plan: GMAT May 21

by MeddlingKid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:54 pm
After two weeks of preparation, looking through the material, and getting some recommendations from posters here, I have created the following study schedule. My test date is May 21, and my target score is 750. Any recommended changes to the schedule below?

Mon/Thurs: (1 Hour) Review PS/DS section notes/flash cards/errors log; (1.5 Hours) 30 timed PS/DS problems, write errors log and lessons learned; (.5 Hours) 5 timed RC/CR/SC problems, write errors log and lessons learned

Tues: (1 Hour) Review RC/CR/SC section notes/flash cards/errors log; (1.5 Hours) 30 timed RC/CR/SC problems, write errors log and lessons learned; (.5 Hours) 5 timed PS/DS problems, write errors log and lessons learned

Wed: Off

Friday: (2-3 Hours) Review all lessons learned, errors logs, flash cards

Saturday: (4 Hours) Practice CAT; (4 Hours) CAT review, writing lessons learrned, errors logs, review weak sections (if time available)

Sunday: (1 Hour) Review Focus section notes/flash cards/errors log; (1.5 Hours) 30 timed Focus problems, write errors log and lessons learned; (.5 Hours) Review other section flash cards

This study schedule will result in 22 hours per week of preparation (which is about what I did for my CFA Level 1 exam, but this will be a shorter duration). The focus section above is based upon whichever section my practice CAT/practice problems suggest I need the most work in.

In my first practice test, my strength was definitely in verbal, which is why I have devoted more practice problem time to the quant section. Do you think I am still alloting enough time to verbal? Any recommended changes would be welcome.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:03 am
The only thought I had was on taking a test every week. Taking a full length test is demanding in terms of energy and concentration. You would need a full day time to review every question. It is a good practice to also review the questions you got right. My suggestion would be to take a test every alternative week. This will also give you time to prepare and observe improvements between tests.

Prasanna

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lux » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:33 am
this looks really good. i would say stick with your plan to take a practice test every week. however, they are draining so i would say maybe plan to review all answers (in depth) on sundays.

also, what was the score of your practice test?
and the breakdown score for verbal and math?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MeddlingKid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:00 am
My first practice test score was 620 (36Q, 40V). I'm wondering how important it is to have a strict study schedule and stick to it. For instance, is it important that I'm mapping out which sections and type of studying/prep I'm doing for weeks in advance, or is it sufficient to simply stick to the TIME committment and ensure I'm always being productive/taking weekly tests. The second method would be more of a reactive study plan, focusing energy on the areas that need it most, based on results from weekly practice tests and exercises. What do you think?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hillzheng » Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 pm
good luck, MeddlingKid