at 30 what schools should i apply to?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

at 30 what schools should i apply to?

by deeptideepti » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 pm
Age: I will be 30 at the time of application as well as when MBA classes start. I will be close to 31 when classes start at 30 years and 10 months.

GMAT - 730
GPA - 2.87 from a top 10 engineering program
Exp - 7-8 years

Is my age a big issue?
What schools should I consider?
INSEAD, Emroy, IU (Kelley) - Are these doable at my age or am I simply too old?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Taurus Online » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:57 am
Hi Deepti,

With your age and experience, you should probably consider schools with 1 year MBA. It will help you in putting your experience into perspective in half the time and get back to work sooner.

Apart from INSEAD, Indian School of Business, Hyderabad is a good option with international faculty and diverse student body.

All the Best!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 am
Hello deeptideepti, thanks for your question.

Your age is older than average. I think it will be an issue, but not necessarily a big one that is insurmountable.

Just to verify, did you clear 80% on both your verbal and quantitative GMAT scores?

Your GPA is a concern. Was there an extraordinary circumstance that caused your low marks? Did your GPA rise as you progressed through undergrad? If so, you might try to explain these factors in the optional essay. Better, is there a better representation of your academic ability and potential? Top programs will want to know that you can handle the material.

You did not write about your professional or extracurricular experience or your post-MBA goals, so I hesitate to give a detailed recommendation. I will say that at INSEAD, the median age of the entering class is 28, with the mean at 29 years of age. So, I don't think your age will be THE determining factor; the other questions I've raised will be more impactful to your competitiveness.

I am happy to comment more with additional information.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php