HBS Executive Programs

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HBS Executive Programs

by spencerj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am
Hi there,

I am wondering if you are familiar at all with the admissions process for HBS's executive education programs like the:
Advanced Management Program
General Management Program
Owner/President Program
Program for Leadership Development

Here are some of my stats:
BA Economics
Consultant for Technology advisory
Executive for Private Equity advisory
Senior VP for Private Equity Derivatives firm
President of a Private Equity Association with ~30 members managing ~20 billion.
~10 years as an executive (32 years old) in total

I can't find much information on any of the executive program's admission criteria/stats/anything!

My biggest concern is that I am too young, but I would like to do it now if possible. Also, the association that I am running is a non-profit, but I am pretty sure they accept these types of executives.

My first choice would be the Advanced Management Program, but if I cannot get into that, then I would settle for any of the others. I think I saw a stat saying that the average age for AMP is 45! Do I have a shot?

Please could you give me any information on their admission criteria or direction to where I could find more info on this?

Many thanks
Spencer

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 pm
Hi Spencer, thank you for your request and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the programs you mention. However, I can confirm your suspicion that the schools do accept non-profit applicants; in fact, I think that may make your candidacy stand out. 32 is young compared to an average age of 45, but consider it this way - if you do not apply, they cannot accept you! So the worst case scenario is that you do apply and either they encourage you to return in a few years or you decide on your own to return in a few years, at which point you can strengthen your application by pointing out your long-standing interest in the program.

Finally, please remember that for most executive programs, the admissions committees are very concerned about whether accepted applicants will stay with the program over its duration. By emphasizing your organization's commitment to your completing it, and any support/flexibility they are giving you in order to do so, you will also address a potential concern and strengthen your application.

Best of luck.

Jessica Shklar
Senior Admissions Consultant
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Toddius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm
I think those programs are open enrollment - you don't apply. You just pay them. It's not an executive mba - just for the learning.