Profile Evaluation: 710 GMAT 5 years work ex

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I was hoping to get a profile evaluation.

I graduated with a Masters in Computer Science in 2007 from USC. I have been working since then in a high-tech software company as a QA Engineer. I haven't been managing people, working as an individual contributor.

GMAT: 710 (48 Q 37 V)
GPA(Masters): 3.3
Major: Masters in Computer Science
Year of graduation: 2007
GPA(Undergraduate): 3.1
Major: Bachelors in Information Systems
Year of Graduation: 2005
Work: 5 years as an individual contributor
Extra curricular: Avid participation in after work events, organized several events at work, managed auction committee at a charity
Post MBA Goal: Marketing\Brand Management

I am looking to apply to:

Berkeley Haas
UCLA Anderson
NYU Stern
Harvard (maybe, don't know if I have a realistic shot)
Kellog
MIT Sloan
Columbia (maybe)

I will probably narrow down from this list. I will also include one safe school. Could you advise me what my safe school should be ?What are my chances of getting into the above mentioned programs? I would appreciate any feedback. I am just about starting to work on my applications.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm
Hello chaosgirl, thanks for your question.

In terms of academics, your overall GMAT is solid, as is your quantitative score. Your verbal score is on the low side (80% is the usual target I recommend). Your undergrad GPA is also a bit on the low side. Given that you come from an underrepresented demographic (female engineers), however, I don't think these are insurmountable challenges.

It is your work and extracurricular experience that will distinguish you. I wouldn't worry that you haven't managed people or a team, per se, but I would ask you: how have you demonstrated leadership, driven results, shown initiative? You can certainly prove those attributes and abilities without having been an official manager.

Also, how have you shown true leadership - not just active participation - through your extracurriculars? You mention organizing multiple work events - were these challenging experiences that required problem solving? The more you can call this out, the stronger your candidacy will be.

Finally, what are your post-MBA goals? Do they require an MBA? How does your future connect with your past and present? The better you can answer these questions, the more compelling your story will be to the admissions committees.

I think Harvard is a reach, as are Sloan and Columbia. For safer choices, you might consider a program like UNC or Cornell. I think you could be competitive at programs like Ross, Fuqua, and Darden.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php