dblazquez
8%
mriaz1
47%

Total votes: 83

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
The Beat The GMAT! Forum community gets to decide who deserves the 2006 Beat The GMAT! Scholarship. Each registered user is allowed one vote. Please read through each applicant essay carefully before casting your vote.

The two finalists who receive the most votes from this community will be announced as this year's winners. The deadline to vote is May 20, 2006. Only registered users can vote, so register today--it's free.

Thanks, and best of luck to the finalists!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

essay

by bob » Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 am
Elise,

go for it, MBA.

Bob

by etran » Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 am
thanks bob! I hope to get one!

Rules are rules

by tkovalsky » Tue May 09, 2006 10:51 am
The rules that were posted say that the essays were to be 300 words. Etran and Mriaz trump this number by at least 3 times. Humblewinner went over by 1 word. Its unfair to even consider the first 2 because those of us who followed the rules had to struggle with editing where the 1st 2 apparently didnt even read the directions. I think those of us who followed the rules would agree with me on this.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue May 09, 2006 11:19 am
I've thought a lot about this issue that tkovalsky raises, and I agree with him. Of the many candidates that applied for this scholarship, only tkovalsky and humblewinner were mindful of following ALL of the directions.

I was very close to eliminating the other candidates while I was selecting finalists, but I decided that their stories were compelling enough to enter this competition. However, I think it would be unfair to consider everyone as equals in this competition, because again, only two people truly followed the directions.

Therefore, I am going to award 10 extra votes to both tkovalsky and humblewinner. They deserve credit for their attention to detail. If this were an MBA application, and an applicant had gone over word count, it would be very likely that the admissions officer would stop reading after the specified word count.

I hope this settles this issue. Thanks, and best of luck to all!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Word Count

by mriaz1 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:37 pm
I truely admire the commitment we all are showing towards this forum and especially while polling is in session. I read the concern that ' tkovalsky' raised and the response by Eric. I do admit that I mysef and few others went over 300 words but looking at our essays, I don't think that any of the finalist(s) commited this mistake willingly. All the essays are indeed strong in their own respect and the way canditates expressed their feelings are truely applausable.

I have few concerns that I want to discuss looking at the response by Eric and about the rules in general.

Firstly, the rules neither mentioned that there is a penalty for any essay over 300 words nor a reward if under that number. Here, I am not trying to take stand that going over 300 words is justified, however, there was no specific guideline in other scenario.

Secondly, Eric should have disqualified the essays in the first place if he had thought someone knowingly went over 300 words. He himself agrees that he let the essays to be among the five finalist out of many because he thought that they were strong enough.

Therefore, I would request let the people decide whom to vote for and who have followed the instructions. I have a strong faith that the most deserving would win. Since the final outcome depends on the number of votes by users as per the rules, I think it would be unfair to reward 10 extra votes by Eric.

If Eric were to decide in the final outcome then why voting was considered the first place. Also, I dont find evidence that his decision represents the community voice. I didn't come across any posts by the old users, those registered before May 07 2006, raising this issue.

Similarly, MBA admission committee comprises of members with each having a say towards the final decision about a candidate. I have never heard the director of the committee saying that he/she will reward 10 extra points later during the admission when he/she himself agreed upon the length of the essay on the first place. Please let the whole beatthegmat community/admission committee decide who truely is deserving.

If you'll think that you'll have missed something in the essay, you'll can always write as many posts as you'll can suporting your eligibility for the scholarship. I think Eric clearly mentioned that in the e-mail he sent to all of us.

I am sorry if this post is considered long too. I think it take words to express the feelings.

Good Luck All !!!!
(mriaz1)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dblazquez » Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 am
Hi everyboy!

just asking why my essay does not deserve the hypothetical "rule-obeying" 10 extra points. My essay is 298 words (excluding the title).

Well, and my opinion regarding the word limit issue is that rules should be the same for all of us. What about the 10 extra points? i think that it's not a bad solution if we don't want to dismiss these good essays, buy i would choose either to accept the essays -without extra points- or to directly disqualify them.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback

by beatthegmat » Wed May 10, 2006 6:44 am
Again, my apologies for this voting controversy.

I think that mriaz1 and dblazquez make a strong case. This is what I'm going to do: humblewinner and tkovalsky will not be awarded the 10 extra points. Everyone will be on an equal playing field in terms of votes.

However, if it so happens that a tie occurs for second place, I will consider essay brevity (especially an essay that falls under 300 words) as a significant factor that weighs my ultimate tie-breaker selection.

For those candidates with essays under 300 words: you should not think that you have been unfairly handicapped by submitting a brief essay--in fact, I think your brevity has made you candidacy even stronger because it demonstrates how you can communicate your view succinctly. If anything, I think that having more words would have handicapped you.

This is my final decision. From this point onward, the people will decide the winners. It's out of my hands unless a tie occurs.

Thanks again for your feedback. All the best!

Hi All !!!

by sabusa » Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 am
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum taking my GMAT on 26th of this month. I love all your essays..you guys are all extraordinary. I have casted my vote..

I am getting ready to beat the GMAT YAY !!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Wed May 10, 2006 10:06 am
Welcome, Sabusa! All the best in your upcoming GMAT--please let us know how it goes!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Winners announced May 21

by beatthegmat » Sat May 13, 2006 1:46 pm
Just to give people fair warning, I will not have access to a computer most of next weekend. I will make an official announcement of the two scholarship winners hopefully by late evening Sunday May 21 and no later than Monday May 22.

This is the last week of the poll, so be sure to cast your vote. Thanks, and best of luck to the candidates!

Reg: Display of percentage votes

by Hiran » Sun May 14, 2006 5:02 pm
Hi Eric,

I am able to see the percentage of votes for each finalist at this point. Was this intentional?

Since, this may eliminate the suspense of your declaration of the winner on May 20th. Also, this may influence the voting pattern of the community members [ Even though I agree each of the members will have their own judgement]

Just some thoughts!

Hiran
ranji

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Sun May 14, 2006 9:05 pm
Yup, the polling is public and it's intentionally so. I like this format, but I certainly accept your points about hiding the results--I may do something like that for next year.

Thanks for the feedback!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu May 18, 2006 2:23 am
to Hiran and beatthegmat,

yes.
but i when voted , i couldnt see that result
(or the race, what u would call it :? ).....
but the options-list for voting.

this wont influence the voters. since they cannot

see it.
right? isnt it>?
now, once i voted i can see the race....going

among them.
so its ineresting to see who's upto what. :wink:
no probs with that. thumbs up.