pattern problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

pattern problem

by yvonne0923 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 am
A string of holiday lights has a repeating colot pattern of green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow. If the first light of the string is green and the last light is red, then the number of lights could be:

A. 23
B. 30
C. 37
D. 45
E. 55

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
[spoiler]O.A: D[/spoiler]
For such questions, do we have to follow the sequence the question gives us? Because I reorganized the sequence of the lights, and I treated it as a sequential problem first. How to attack such problems?

Thanks,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am
yvonne0923 wrote:A string of holiday lights has a repeating colot pattern of green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow. If the first light of the string is green and the last light is red, then the number of lights could be:

A. 23
B. 30
C. 37
D. 45
E. 55

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
For such questions, do we have to follow the sequence the question gives us? Because I reorganized the sequence of the lights, and I treated it as a sequential problem first. How to attack such problems?

Thanks,
repeating pattern of colors given to us is green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow; which is 6 in no.
now suppose we have 7 holiday then seventh light would be green; {green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow, green}; because when we divide 7 by 6 it gives 1 as a remainder, and 1 here is the first light which is green,, now lets start working with options;
23/6 gives 5 as a option which means last light would be orange;
30/6 remainder is 0 therefore last light would be yellow;
37/6 remainder is 1 therefore last light would be green;
45/6 remainder 3 therefore last would be red;*bingo*
55/6 remainder is 1 therefore last light would be green,

hence D is an answer..!!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yvonne0923 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 am
manpsingh87 wrote:
yvonne0923 wrote:A string of holiday lights has a repeating colot pattern of green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow. If the first light of the string is green and the last light is red, then the number of lights could be:

A. 23
B. 30
C. 37
D. 45
E. 55

Thanks,
repeating pattern of colors given to us is green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow; which is 6 in no.
now suppose we have 7 holiday then seventh light would be green; {green, white, red, blue, orange, yellow, green}; because when we divide 7 by 6 it gives 1 as a remainder, and 1 here is the first light which is green,, now lets start working with options;
23/6 gives 5 as a option which means last light would be orange;
30/6 remainder is 0 therefore last light would be yellow;
37/6 remainder is 1 therefore last light would be green;
45/6 remainder 3 therefore last would be red;*bingo*
55/6 remainder is 1 therefore last light would be green,

hence D is an answer..!!!

Thanks for the explanation, I'm feeling very clear now!