This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Prof Eval 710 (Q50 V35) 26y/o canada

by baronbaik » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 am
26 y/o, male, canada
GMAT: 710 (Q50 V35 AWA6)
Undergrad: Univ of Toronto (Canada)
Major: Electrical Engineering
GPA: 70% (not sure how this translates to American 4.0 GPA)
Undergrad Extracurricular: Led a campus club, some intramural teams

Employer: Small engineering company (< 20 employees)
Post grad experience: 18 months
Internships: Other engineering companies (12 months + 2 months overseas/Korea)
I don't have any managerial experience, but I'm confident I can get a positive recommendation from my boss.

Extracurricular: Volunteer at church (ushering and preparing the room for services)

Dream: HBS, Wharton
Other: Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Ross, Stern, Tuck, Fuqua

Post MBA goals: Use my technical background and go into consulting or banking, then start my own firm.

Do I have a chance with any of my targets? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? (take courses at a local university, take the gmat a 3rd time, etc)

Any other comments you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:32 am
Hi, thank you for your question.

Let me go over the three broad areas that the admissions committee will be assessing you on, with some thoughts on what they'll see with your profile, to answer your question.

1. Academics: the schools want to know if you can do the work, as evidenced by grades and scores. They'll look to see - did you push yourself with demanding classes? How do you perform quantitatively? In your case, your GMAT looks fine (they want to see a 700 with an evenly balanced 80%/80% score). Your verbal looks slightly low but the quantitative score is more important, and with your AWA I don't see the verbal being an issue at all. The GPA is a bit harder for me to assess since I don't know how your score translates to a 4.0 scale either, but you did take a quantitatively rigorous program. I don't see your academics being an issue for any school (with the caveat that I'm not quite sure where your GPA puts you).

2. Work experience - the schools are looking for leadership potential, not necessarily managerial experience. Do you demonstrate leadership traits, e.g. taking initiative, driving results, etc. Have you received increasingly more responsibility in your role? My hope is that at a small engineering firm you would have the opportunity to demonstrate these skills, but you don't tell me anything about it. So think for yourself - can you show these leadership traits in your career? The schools will also be looking at how your past experience prepares you for your future career, even if you are a career changer. You seem to understand that there has to be a connection, but are vague on your goals - how will you use your engineering background in consulting or banking? What kind of firm will you then start?

3. Engagement with the world: the AdCom wants to see that you recognize there is life outside of work, and that you demonstrate leadership potential (or actual experience) outside of work as well. I do see you list your church activities, but they don't appear to be particularly leadership-focused. You don't only need to be involved in formal volunteer work however; you can demonstrate this kind of engagement simply through the kind of person you are - helping people on your own, achieving goals and milestones, etc.

I hope this breakdown helps you assess your own strengths/weaknesses. My initial sense is that your academics will be fine, and your time between now and when you apply will be better spent on finding more activities outside of work to get involved with as a leader, and on clarifying your goals. Your actual work experience right now is a black hole for me because you discuss only where you work, not what you do, so take a look at your experiences there as well.

Good luck,

Jessica Shklar
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php