Question 143, Arithmetic; Algebra Percents; Applied problems

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Guys,

I really do not understand the explanation in the OG to the following question:

The price per share of Stock X increased by 10 percent over the same time period that the price per share of Stock Y drecreased by 10 percent. The reduced price per share of Stock Y was what percent of the original price per share of Stock X?

(1) The increased price per share of STock X was equal to the original price per share of Stock Y.

(2) The increase in the price per share of STock X was 10/11 the decrease in the price per share of STock Y.

The answer says that each statement alone is sufficient, but I do not really understand the explanation. Can somebody explain it step-by-step please?

Thanks a lot

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 am
nkaur wrote:Hi Guys,

I really do not understand the explanation in the OG to the following question:

The price per share of Stock X increased by 10 percent over the same time period that the price per share of Stock Y drecreased by 10 percent. The reduced price per share of Stock Y was what percent of the original price per share of Stock X?

(1) The increased price per share of STock X was equal to the original price per share of Stock Y.

(2) The increase in the price per share of STock X was 10/11 the decrease in the price per share of STock Y.

The answer says that each statement alone is sufficient, but I do not really understand the explanation. Can somebody explain it step-by-step please?

Thanks a lot
original price of stock X= x; original price of stock Y=y;
after increase price of stock X= 1.1x, after decrease price of stock y=.9y,
we have to find .9y/x;

1)1.1x=y, x/y=10/11; hence is sufficient
2).1x=10/11(.9)y, x/y=11/10 hence is sufficient
D
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!