just scored a 590 desperately need a profile eval. R3 apps!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:540
I need your help! Please help evaluate my profile. I just took my GMAT today and received a 590 score, I'm frankly a little disappointed. I am a final round applicant and I was hoping to get high enough score to apply to UCLA FEMBA, USC PM or any top 20 school, but unfortunately my score only allows for USC PM.

Thank you in advance for taking a look at my profile, if you have suggestions of other top tier schools that you think I would have a shot with or you have heard of admission success stories with low GPA please share. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated at this point.

Male
29 y/o
Asian
Southern California Local

10 years management experience in Health Care (7 years managing a Radiology Clinic/3 years in Health Care staffing/sales)

3 of those 10 years I owned a Import/export recycling company part-time.

I have 2 internet start ups in development this year. Projected launch date for both is summer of 2011.

I will definitely have a great letter or reference from the current President of my company, current clients and also a reference for a Physician at my previous company.

Extracurricular/Military/Volunteer work- active member of the State Military Reserve

California State University - BA in Management GPA 2.9

2008-GMAT 540
2011-GMAT 590

MBA Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Round 3 applications

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm
Hi Simony and thank you for your inquiry. I'm sorry about your low score - it must be very frustrating after I'm sure you studied hard for it.

When you say that the score eliminates you from all choices except for USC PM, are you basing that on their range of scores? While I know the 590 is low for all the schools, if it is within the mid-80% or even just a bit outside it, you may still have a chance. At the very least, it sets you up as a reapplicant next year, which shows the school how committed you are to them.

But one concern I have with your profile is that in addition to the low GMAT, your GPA is also on the low side. I worry that the Admissions Committee will not be convinced that you can handle the workload. You may consider asking one or more recommenders to address your intellectual capabilities in their letters of reference. Please also be sure to write the Optional Essay to explain your low scores. This essay should not offer excuses, merely acknowledge that the score is low and then point out evidence that you still have the ability to thrive in their program - maybe by explaining the quantitative nature of your work, any classes you have taken, etc.

You do have an interesting work story and good experience through the state military reserve, so if you believe your essays and recommendations are strong, I don't see the harm in your applying. After all - if you do not apply, they can't accept you!

Best of luck,

Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php