cr ...summer

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

cr ...summer

by advita » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 am
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.

OA...E
source-gmatclub.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:26 am
i m not ed with oa

it tells only about nighttime not about summer or winter
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 am
advita wrote:State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.

OA...E
source-gmatclub.
i am not convinced with the answer you gave, for me the answer should be C.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 am
For E to be correct there is one vital information "State X" is the Land of the midnight sun, i.e. 6 months day and 6 months night... Else the answer should be C.

Can anybody please shed some light?
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Deepthi Subbu » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 am
Even am unable to go with the OA , C should be correct . Can you confirm?