Need help with this MGMAT Problem! (book explanation so-so)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Book 4 on MGMAT. Page 24, Q14. I couldn't understand the book's explanation and I don't think it's solvable in 2min.

8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table." 1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-forth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage." If the "Aged" bottle was 20 times as old as the "Vintage" bottle 2 years ago, then how old is each bottle now?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kmittal82 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:31 am
Let current age of "Aged" = x
Current age of "Table" = y
Current age of "vintage" = z

>8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table."

x + 8 = 7(y+8)

=> x = 7y + 48

>1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-forth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage
y - 1 = (z-1)/4

=> 4y = z + 3

>If the "Aged" bottle was 20 times as old as the "Vintage" bottle 2 years ago
x - 2 = 20(z-2)

=> x = 20z -38

Once you have these equations, you should plug in answer values to see which ones hold true.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kmittal82 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 am
Just for the sake of completeness:

y (Table) = 2, x (aged) = 62 and z (vintage)= 5

Took me longer to type my posts than to solve it :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 am
thp510 wrote:Book 4 on MGMAT. Page 24, Q14. I couldn't understand the book's explanation and I don't think it's solvable in 2min.

8 years from now, the bottle of wine labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table." 1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-fourth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage." If the "Aged" bottle was 20 times as old as the "Vintage" bottle 2 years ago, then how old is each bottle now?

Thanks!
If this question were on the GMAT, I would plug in the answer choices, one of which would say that t=2, v=5, and a=62. Let's plug these values into the problem:

8 years from now, the bottle of wine labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table.'' 8 years from now, t=2+8=10 and a=62+8=70. This works because 70 = 7*10.

1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-fourth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage." 1 year ago, t=2-1=1 and v=5-1=4. This works because 1 = 1/4 * 4.

If the "Aged" bottle was 20 times as old as the "Vintage" bottle 2 years ago...
2 years ago, a=62-2=60 and v=5-2=3. This works because 60 = 20*3.

Having satisfied all the conditions in the problem, we would have found the correct answer.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 am
thp510 wrote:Book 4 on MGMAT. Page 24, Q14. I couldn't understand the book's explanation and I don't think it's solvable in 2min.

8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table." 1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-forth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage." If the "Aged" bottle was 20 times as old as the "Vintage" bottle 2 years ago, then how old is each bottle now?

Thanks!
Aged = 62
Table = 2
Vintage = 5

I think it must be a pleasure to have wine like Aged for the evening... :wink:
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------

EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 am
goyalsau wrote:
thp510 wrote:
I think it must be a pleasure to have wine like Aged for the evening... :wink:
Nah - would've oxygenated completely by now, and turned into very expensive vinegar.

Scotch, however....
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

by thp510 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 am
Thanks for the help! I hate these questions.

by thp510 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm
kmittal82 wrote:Let current age of "Aged" = x

>8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table."

x + 8 = 7(y+8)

=> x = 7y + 48

>1 year ago, the bottle of wine labeled "Table" was one-forth as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Vintage
y - 1 = (z-1)/4

=> 4y = z + 3

x - 2 = 20(z-2)

=> x = 20z -38

Once you have these equations, you should plug in answer values to see which ones hold true.

Kimittal82 & others...

Revisiting the question. Why would I set up the problem the way you did? For example, when the problem says...

"8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table."
x + 8 = 7(y+8)

I understand where the +8 came from in the parenthesis, but why would I do that? I originally put x+8 = 7y. What is it in the wording that should trigger my mind into thinking that I'm also compensating for "table" wine in the future by adding +8 to it? What would the sentence be if I didn't add +8? I'm thinking: "8 years from now, the bottle of wine labeled "Aged" IS 7 times as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Table". No?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 am
thp510 wrote:
kmittal82 wrote:Let current age of "Aged" = x

x + 8 = 7(y+8)

=> x = 7y + 48

y - 1 = (z-1)/4

=> 4y = z + 3

x - 2 = 20(z-2)

=> x = 20z -38

Kimittal82 & others...

Revisiting the question. Why would I set up the problem the way you did? For example, when the problem says...

"8 years from now, the bottle of win labeled "Aged" will be 7 times as old the bottle of wine labeled "Table."
x + 8 = 7(y+8)

I understand where the +8 came from in the parenthesis, but why would I do that? I originally put x+8 = 7y. What is it in the wording that should trigger my mind into thinking that I'm also compensating for "table" wine in the future by adding +8 to it? What would the sentence be if I didn't add +8? I'm thinking: "8 years from now, the bottle of wine labeled "Aged" IS 7 times as old as the bottle of wine labeled "Table". No?
There's no immediate trigger except for common sense and staying alert: It's a common mistake people make, and a thus a concept tested by the GMAT. Time passes for all, and no one is exempt. The instant the problem talks about "now", and "8 years from now", you need to add 8 years to everyone involved - it simply doesn't make sense for time to pass for one bottle of wine but not for other, currently existing ones.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com