Does This Count As EC Activity?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Does This Count As EC Activity?

by zmaster85 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:31 am
What do you think of this:

President
Jan 2007 to Jan 2008
Successfully nurtured an unpopular organization to the most sought after in one year's time
Handled logistics, politics, accounting, and recruiting
Led a group of twenty-five people through high communication group activities, four times a week
Planned and organized weekly social activities to increase organization cohesiveness

Now change President to Guild Leader in World of Warcraft, and organization to guild.

What do you think? =D

And if you must know, I'm going to back this up with an Ivy League undergrad and four years at a Big4 strategy consulting firm. I am this desperate for ECs, haha!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ashokkadam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 am
That was really Interesting stuff. you rock!!
zmaster85 wrote:What do you think of this:

President
Jan 2007 to Jan 2008
Successfully nurtured an unpopular organization to the most sought after in one year's time
Handled logistics, politics, accounting, and recruiting
Led a group of twenty-five people through high communication group activities, four times a week
Planned and organized weekly social activities to increase organization cohesiveness

Now change President to Guild Leader in World of Warcraft, and organization to guild.

What do you think? =D

And if you must know, I'm going to back this up with an Ivy League undergrad and four years at a Big4 strategy consulting firm. I am this desperate for ECs, haha!
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Maxwell_Roper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 am
It would be a semi-worthy EC accomplishment for a high-school student applying to an undergraduate program... Seriously.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:16 am
There's some risk in using this - I have thought about it too because I led a FPS clan a while back. I think the risk is in painting yourself as shallow or worse... This might be something good to run past several admissions consultants - I bet most will give decent responses for free in the BTG sections, or if you call for a free consultation. If this is what you're passionate about, then you need to be able to tell an interesting and relevant story of your journey as a gamer all the way to clan leader. It can be done, but I don't think every school will see value in it. Just my opinion - I'm interested in hearing back if you decide to use it or not, and if it was successful or not.