Recommendations from non-native English speakers?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
This is my situation. Im currently working in Shanghai, China for a U.S. based company. However, I am only one of two foreigners here and the overall English level is pretty poor. Additionally, my supervisor is Chinese and although his English is good I wouldn't say it's great. I am worried about having him write a letter of recommendation.

Thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm
To start, I'm no expert, just a prospective applicant with too many opinions. 2 things:

1) Decide (regardless of language) is your supervisor going to be a stellar advocate of yours? Make sure he/she is the right person to be in your corner. Just make sure that your recommender understands the type of responses that you need in order to help your application.

2) Communicate with the adcoms - nearly all the top schools are falling over themselves over how internationally focussed they are - that means chances are they have access to translators. Plus, with all the international applicants - this cannot be a unique problem.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by southbaynic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:53 am
Refer to the instructions for recommendations for the schools you're applying to; every one I've looked at has addressed this issue, and if they don't it's worth a call or email to the admissions office. In general, what most schools request is that the recommender write the recommendation in their native language, and then have it professionally translated. They usually ask for both the original and the translated version. But this may vary by school, so it's best to check with each school you're applying to.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 am
Send it in Chinese and see how the school reacts =).
Yep.