Does Undergrad full-time work count as work experience?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I worked as a bank teller full-time for 3 years and 7 months while studying for my undergraduate degree. After graduating in December 2009, I was hired to work as an Analyst for another company, which I still work for currently (going on 9 months now). I have a total of 4 years and 4 months of full-time work exp.

My question is: Does the first full-time job as a teller count as work experience to admissions committees? Or does the work exp need to be exclusively after finishing the undergrad degree?

Im hoping to apply to some top schools next Fall (i.e. Johnson, Columbia, Darden, Keenan-Flagler) Someone please help me by replying.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm
I'm not sure about all of the schools you are interested in, but here is what I found on Kenan-Flagler's FAQ:

AOnly full-time, permanent positions count towards the two-year minimum work requirement. Applicants' initiative in landing internships and the experiences gained in these assignments are certainly considered when we evaluate your overall package. While we are aware that many international applicants work full time while attending university, we prefer that they also present a minimum of two years of work experience after completing the first degree.

I know this says international applicants, but I am sure the same applies for US applicants.

Here is some additional info from Kenan-Flagler:

Q: If I have less than two years of full-time work experience, will my application be considered?

A: We review every application we receive, regardless of the amount of work experience. But applicants with less than two years of experience are not likely to be competitive in comparison to other candidates at UNC Kenan-Flagler.

Q: I worked full-time before I received my college degree. Will you consider that work experience?

A: Your full-time work before you earned a bachelor's degree can be considered. The quality of work experience is as significant as the quantity. The Admissions Committee will evaluate the degree and progression of your responsibility, supervisory roles and the managerial promise of that work.

by acaba007 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:41 am
Thanks, dmateer. That actually helped out a lot. Now I know its more competitive at UNC with regards to work experience. I guess I'll have to look at the FAQ's of my other prospective schools.

If anyone else has any information on this, please help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by uprightcitizen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:24 pm
It appears every school handles this differently. I just recently obtained my bachelor's degree, going to school at night while working full-time (work actually paid for my degree). I have almost seven years of full-time management-level work... but two months of post-graduate work. I actually hired interns from the college I was attending, while going to school there full-time.

I contacted a few schools regarding the "post-graduate work" requirements, and this is what I have heard:

Cambridge:
-They were the most specific in saying that they wanted "post-graduate" work. I e-mailed them. They told me not to apply.

Kellogg:
-They say they wanted "post-graduate" work as well, but, upon contacting them, they told me to include my special circumstances in the Additional Information.

BU:
-They said they would count all my work experience, despite my "unusual" circumstances.

The other schools I am applying to Wharton, Harvard, and Yale, appear to be more interested in the quality of work than the time period. Harvard actually seems to be going younger in general. I did not contact them, although I have included a few sentences about it during my "Additional Information" essays.

Sorry I don't have more information on your specific schools, but hopefully this helped!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by qingjan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:31 pm
Organization. Look at your structure as to vertical, horizontal or matrix. It should reflect the usual organization reporting arrangement. And, more importantly, it should support the means to providing a dynamic, ongoing logistics service with successful results.
prom dresses
Skill sets. prom dresses You want to establish yourself as a supply chain service solution provider, someone who will develop a tailored logistics program to fit the specific needs of each customer. Solution providers see the container-and more. They see pallets of product-and more. They know it is about the process, not the container or pallet.
wedding dresses
3PLs initially focus on investing in assets,wedding dresses warehouses and technology, without knowing how these fit into 3PL solutions. This approach constructs answers without knowing the questions. Rather, the successful 3PL sells, design and manages customized logistics in an international or domestic venue. The issue then becomes whether existing personnel are capable of selling logistics and supply chain solutions.
wedding gowns
A holistic sales approach is needed for 3PLs than for commodity service providers.wedding gowns Commodity sales personnel often deal with the customer perspective of the need to manage costs. Yet the customer has additional accountabilities. 3PL sales personnel need to address the customer's supply chain accountability scope. The accountability scope is 90% of the customer attention span as compared to the 10-25% that freight or warehousing cost is. 3PLs must focus on the 90%, not the 10-25%, to gain business.
Firms need training to facilitate these skills. Staffing is often built with existing personnel who have sales and operations experience with the commodity service parent company. 3PLs, not surprisingly, find that even with training, and with continuous performance monitoring afterward, less than 10% of the sales force can make the mindset change to sell logistics. As a result, they may employ non-shipping people to do logistics selling. They draw on outside firms with people who have real world supply chain knowledge and experience to sell and assist with designing and managing integrated logistics programs.
wedding dresses
Other.wedding dresses There are other points to recognize as to process design capability, people, technology, budget, sales targets and advertising. The overseas network, where applicable for international 3PLs, is a key factor.
Conclusion. The ongoing challenge for 3PLs is to successfully design, sell and manage a logistics solution with easily monitored metrics and accountability. Consider the high rate of outsourcing failures. Causes ranging from a rush to procure business and not understanding the process and requirements to some 3PLs converting back into a commodity service. This conversion defeats the very purpose of the 3PL. Outsource service providers seek competitive advantage; they know that preserving competitive advantage is an ongoing challenge.

by acaba007 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 am
ummm...?