After the reception...

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

After the reception...

by briangtsmith » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 am
So last night I attended a great Goizueta cocktail reception for interested applicants. I made several contacts in admissions, who gave me their business cards and said "Keep in touch."

What is the protocol here? Is it advisable to send in my resume and ask questions, or should I just e-mail them a quick thanks and keep them in the loop as to when my application is submitted?

I want to remain on their minds, but don't want to seem pushy.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant

by julie_shah » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:15 am
Hi Brian,

Great question - networking certainly a tricky thing to navigate, and I think you're right that you want to strike a balance between staying on their minds, but not seeming too pushy.

My advice would be to send an e-mail to say thanks and ask 1 - 2 good, insightful, specific questions about the program. (The quality of questions you ask can really leave an impression on someone.) This way, you can keep a conversation going for at least a short exchange, continue to demonstrate your interest in the school, and make yourself more lasting-ly memorable. Don't attach your resume - I think that comes too close to trying to submit some sort of pre-application.

One thing I did last year was ask an admissions officer I had met on campus to put me in touch with an alum who was in my field of interest (she had mentioned that I should speak to this person during our in-person conversation). So, in my follow-up/thank you e-mail, I asked her to please connect us. And then, after I spoke with that alum, I followed up with her again to thank her, providing some specifics on how valuable the conversation with the alum had been, and how it enhanced my desire to attend the school. In this way, I was able to extend the impression I was making over some length of time.

It's also a good idea, as you mentioned below, to let them know when you submit your application.

Good luck!

Julie
Julie Shah Lamba
Founder & Admissions Consultant
My MBA Story
Looking for high-quality, personalized, affordable MBA admissions consulting? Visit: www.mymbastory.com