How long till schools notified of GMAT after exam?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I I have applications due mid January (15th to be exact). If I took a GMAT on the 10th would that be cutting it short?

Do the schools receive my score electronically or is it paper mail? AKA, could I wait till the last second or should I give it a few weeks?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ashokkadam » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm
@RedSoxFan,

You should try to take your GMAT at least 15 working days before your deadline. To be precise, if your application due is 15th Jan, the you must take your GMAT before 1st Jan. It takes atleast 2 weeks to report your scores to the school. So plan accordingly. Furthermore I would also advice- Do not decide to take GMAT exam on the basis of the b-school deadlines. Always decide to take GMAT when you think you are well-prepared to take it.

As far as I know, schools do not receive your scores electronically. Your scores are sent by paper mail to the schools that you wished to report. Hope that answers your questions.
RedSoxFan wrote:I I have applications due mid January (15th to be exact). If I took a GMAT on the 10th would that be cutting it short?

Do the schools receive my score electronically or is it paper mail? AKA, could I wait till the last second or should I give it a few weeks?

Thanks
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by RedSoxFan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:00 pm
Thank you!

ashokkadam wrote:@RedSoxFan,

You should try to take your GMAT at least 15 working days before your deadline. To be precise, if your application due is 15th Jan, the you must take your GMAT before 1st Jan. It takes atleast 2 weeks to report your scores to the school. So plan accordingly. Furthermore I would also advice- Do not decide to take GMAT exam on the basis of the b-school deadlines. Always decide to take GMAT when you think you are well-prepared to take it.

As far as I know, schools do not receive your scores electronically. Your scores are sent by paper mail to the schools that you wished to report. Hope that answers your questions.
RedSoxFan wrote:I I have applications due mid January (15th to be exact). If I took a GMAT on the 10th would that be cutting it short?

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm
Wait, no - if it's "working days" then you don't count weekends or holidays (New Years). If the timeline is 15 working days, and your deadline is 15 January, you need to complete it NLT 23 December! This assumes holidays for the following days:

03 January & 24 December (since Christmas and New Years fall on Saturdays). So 23 December is the safe "No Later Than" date. Of course this is all predicated on "15 working days" which I have no idea whether or not if that is the standard timeline.