Recommendation letter : Weakness question

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recommendation letter : Weakness question

by putain » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 pm
Hi,

I am still an undergrad and am applying to Masters programs at B schools.
One of my recommender is my former professor and she showed me the reco letter after writing it. (I couldnt help it as she emailed me!)
She gave a glowing review of me, but in the weakness question she replied "I really didn't see the applicant in a context where his weaknesses could be observed. "
So will this be a drawback to my application?

My other recommendation letter,(from my internship supervisor) i believe will address the weakness question though.

I have the option of not sending her reco but it is really well written (my strengths are written with great examples etc.) and i want to send her reco.

please advise fast.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by julie_shah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:33 pm
Hi Putain,

I think it's definitely important that your recommender be able to respond to all of the questions asked by the school. Similar to how schools ask you to write essays about a mistake, a failure, or a challenging experience, the school is asking this question of your recommenders so that they can gain an (important) understanding of your full character. If your recommender is not able to respond, the school may question your choice of recommenders (Did he choose someone who would only say positive things? Did he choose someone who doesn't really know him that well?), and the school will be left without an important data point.

I would suggest that you help your recommender brainstorm times when you were working together and you displayed a weakness that she can address.

Good luck!

Julie
Julie Shah Lamba
Founder & Admissions Consultant
My MBA Story
Looking for high-quality, personalized, affordable MBA admissions consulting? Visit: www.mymbastory.com