Read the scholarship essay from: mriaz1

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Read the scholarship essay from: mriaz1

by beatthegmat » Sun May 07, 2006 10:47 am
Here is mriaz1's essay submission. If you wish to vote for mriaz1, please refer to the online poll by clicking here. Be sure to read all the applicant essays carefully prior to voting because you only get one vote.

Two scholarship winners will be decided via online poll by May 20, 2006! Only registered users can vote, so register today--it's free.

---

Why do you deserve the Beat The GMAT! Scholarship?

Having six children and my dad being the only person working in the family, it was hard for my parents to fulfill all their children needs. I cannot recall a moment when my parents didn't sacrify their own needs to provide us with good food and better education. I will never forget that sunny afternoon when my father called me with love and said," Son, all my hard work is for you'll and I will do anything to keep you'll happy but the only thing that I want from you, is that you will never let your education become a second priority at any cost". His words were the turning point in my life and I promised to myself that I will make my parents feel proud of me and will support them in any manner I can.

Throughout my middle school, I worked hard and scored the highest position overall in my school. Looking at my academic record,leadership skills and my quest for knowledge, I was awarded admission to the city's best private high school with full scholarship, the place I use to dream to enroll in. While in high school I continued to give my best performance and later got attracted to computers. I discovered that this is the field I want to pursue my career in and decided to purse a two years associate diploma in Information Systems from the nearby institute in the evening. I soon realized how important money is in this world when the institute administration refused to enroll me in the program since I had less money to pay them. I showed them my achievements and discussed my dreams but was told to come back when I have enough money for the diploma.

Even though I got disappointed and discouraged by not getting into the institute I didn't let my passion disappear and acted positively since it was not the end of the world. I sold some of my childhood toys to my neighbours and bought book with that money so that I can start to learn about computers. I also enrolled in computer classes offered in high school and topped them all. During my 10nth grade, I prepared myself for S.A.T and passed with flying colors. Looking at my score, my fellow school mates asked me to teach them the tricks and techniques I used to achieve those high scores. Having the helping nature, I offered them my services and in return asked for a little money just enough to get me enrolled in that computer institute.

I completed my diploma and after my high school, I enrolled at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge majoring in Computer Science. College life introduced me to an entire new world. I soon realised that this is the place where I can fulfill my dreams of pursuing a higher degree as well as a chance to help my family. During my freshman year, I took an active part in several student organizations, enrolled in honors college and still maintained my G.P.A. At the beginning of my junior year, I got involved in Student Government as a Vice President Business College Council where I had a chance to meet several inspiring personalities from the business world and decided to pursue Business Administration as a second major.

Looking at the challenges faced by Information Technology with outsourcing and my desire to improve this world in a better way, I realized that future holds a promise for those savvy technical people who would have the ability to address technological issues in business language. The way the world is moving nowadays, we find evidence that in future, Information Technology managers would play a great role in shaping nation's future and with that In mind I am committed to pursue my M.B.A from the nation's prestigious university.

Just little before after graduating in December, I decided to start preparing for GMAT. But the expenses that were incurred throughout my college career i.e the bills of my credit cards etc held me back to take the test. I now work at the university to pay my credit card bills, living expenses and also support my family with the remaining money. I am aiming for a high score to get into nation's best MBA program with scholarship and for that I have to get the average score of 720+. I asked God and then my best friend ' Google' to help me out with the preparation and found www.beatthegmat.com website. After carefully reviewing each and every bit of information it has, I now feel myself comfortable and ready for the GMAT Challenge. I am most thankful to all those people who are contributing on the website for the great cause of helping other and win hearts of many individuals who get benefited from the blogs. I salute Eric, who provided with the opportunity and has a desire to make a Difference.

This scholarship would help me pay for my Exam, since I already bought the books mentioned on the website. I am most committed to contribute back to the community as I have done in the past. Any piece of information that I'll come across, I'll share with all of my beatthegmat.com family. Also this scholarship money, I would consider it as a loan to me to achieve my dreams and I'll sponsor it back to the beatthegmat community once I become financially stable after taking my test. I think this way the great tradition started by Eric would continue and many needy students like me would be benefited in future. Indeed, I am a strong believer, "There is a tremendous strength that is growing in the world through sharing together, praying together, suffering together, and working together. " -- Mother Teresa
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth." -- Mabel Boardman
"It is time for a new generation of leadership to cope with new problems and new opportunities. For there is a new world to be won." -- John F. Kennedy

Looking forward with a great commitment and enthusiasm to serve beatthegmat.com community and many others.
Last edited by beatthegmat on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Dear Friends

by mriaz1 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:52 pm
I would like to thank you all in advance for the support. Together we can make a Difference!!!!