Profile suggestions

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Profile suggestions

by mayonnai5e » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:35 am
Hello Stacy/Amy,

I would like some suggestions on what I can do in the next year or so to improve my chances of getting into a top tier school. My background is as follows:

GMAT: Male

GMAT: 720 (Q49, V40)
GPA: 3.81, University of California, San Diego
Major: Computer Science
Honors: Magna Cum Laude (top 4%)

Experience: 4 years (1.5 years working abroad in Paris, France)
Positions held: Associate Software Engineer, Software Engineer (hoping to get another promotion within the next two years to Senior Software Engineer)

Leadership: Co-lead Six Sigma project to Share Best Practices between the two international divisions of my company (French and American sites); presented findings and new process for sharing practices to Software Engineering Directors and second level managers of each site

Volunteer work: Children's ministry (sunday school) volunteer for 10 weeks (stopped because of my international assignment); soon to be moderator of www.BeatTheGmat.com

Interests: Reading and learning about business and technology

Career goals: Transition from technology to finance with an entrepreneurship bent. My short term goal is the career transition and my long term goal is to gain knowledge and contacts from the business world to start my own business. I have no idea what kind of business though.

I know my leadership experience is severely lacking. It's hard in the defense software industry to get into a position of leadership with only 4 years of experience. My plan is to expand my volunteer experiences and look outside my work for leadership opportunities. My short list of schools are:

Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
UCLA
Stanford
Wharton

Although I know some of these are a stretch. I am planning to apply in 2009. Do you have any suggestions for the next 2 years to maximize my chances?

Thank you in advance.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:41 am
Hi mayonnai5e,

First of all, it's excellent to start thinking strategically about your application a year in advance. This gives you the chance to make real impact on your overall substance.

My first suggestion is to refine those career goals intently. You'll want to know what that business you plan to start is. Networking is a great way to start refining career goals, and to learn more about your target schools. Go out there and speak to people who are doing the jobs are interested in, seek out alumni of the schools you are interested in and ask them how well the school prepared them for their job... Seek out current students (such as the president of the finance club) and ask their thoughts on the school.

My second suggestion is to increase your volunteer or extracurricular activities and create very strong leadership opportunities there. Do you see an opportunity at your church to start a new initiative? Is there another organization you are interested in helping?

I think your academics are strong and if you are able to build on your volunteering and leadership skills while clearly articulating your goals and how the school will get you there, your chances are good.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting