GMAT prep algorithm

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT prep algorithm

by ack » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 am
Hi,

Does anyone know if the algorithm in the GMAT prep software is the same as on the actual test. Teh reason I ask is that I took the actual exam a while ago and scored a 650 with a low Quant Score (42). The only reason I could deduce for this was that I had to guess on some of the Quant quesiton because I ran out of time. I did the same thing on the GMAT prep exams but consistently get a higher score on Quant, so I am beginning to wonder if the algorithm on the actual test is more adaptive.

Thanks

ack

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: GMAT prep algorithm

by beatthegmat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:28 pm
ack wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if the algorithm in the GMAT prep software is the same as on the actual test. Teh reason I ask is that I took the actual exam a while ago and scored a 650 with a low Quant Score (42). The only reason I could deduce for this was that I had to guess on some of the Quant quesiton because I ran out of time. I did the same thing on the GMAT prep exams but consistently get a higher score on Quant, so I am beginning to wonder if the algorithm on the actual test is more adaptive.

Thanks

ack
GMATPrep is said to be the most accurate simulation of the actual GMAT test. I haven't ever seen any official word or data that indicate that GMATPrep's algorithm is identical to the real test, but it is assumed (and accepted) by most people that GMATPrep's algorithm is the most realistic compared to other GMAT practice tests on the market.

There are a lot of reasons why your quant score on GMATPrep is higher than what you originally scored on your first GMAT. (1) You might be improving, so your score is naturally rising; or (2) perhaps the question bank in GMATPrep isn't very fresh to you anymore, so you are picking up on old questions fairly easily.

At the end of the day I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to figure out scoring algorithms. Practice hard and analyze your errors, and you will get nice results on your actual test.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:07 pm
GMATPrep does, in fact, use the same algorithm as the official test. However, the pool of questions in the software is shallower than the pool of questions available on real test day (that is, there aren't as many questions available for the software to pick). This has the effect of making GMATPrep feel a bit easier - and the higher you score, the easier GMATPrep will feel compared to the real test.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT prep algorithm

by ack » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:46 am
Eric, Stacey,

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate the guidance. Timing on the quant section is still my biggest issue, but I didn't see a lot of repeat questions on the quant section of the GMAT prep exam I took. Hopefully things will go better this time round.

Thanks again.

Arun

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm
Arun:

Please keep us updated on your progress! And don't hesitate to ask your questions to the community if you reach any stumbling blocks.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school