Part Time vs Full Time

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Part Time vs Full Time

by deepika » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm
Hi Stacey,

I have few really basic questions:

1) When applying to universities, can you send one application that can be considered for both the part-time as well as full-time program ?

2) If a student applies for Full time MBA and gets accepted into a univ. The acceptace offer is confirmed by the student. Now before the program starts can he/she change the program to part-time if required ?

The reason I am asking the above questions is because I have an Engineering background and 2 years of Work Experience in Telecom Industry now. My reason to pursue MBA is that it will help me get into a management/leadership position.

It's just that with 3 years of work exp next year and 2 year full time MBA might still not make me eligible for a Mangerial/Leader Role as the work experience might not be sufficient.

I am exploring career options after MBA as well. Thus a part-time MBA might give me more time to understand how I can benefit from MBA.

I will greatly appreciate if you can answer the following questions as well?

3) Does a part-time MBA from a good school treated the same way by employers like a Full Time MBA or is the value lost because the program was not full time?

4) Except Finance, Accounting and entrepreneurship what are the other career options can a person pursue after MBA ?
I am gaining interest in Product management and Business Development (Stratergy Planning) Roles in my company.
Any more information on this will be really helpful.

Thanks for your time,

Deepika

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:04 pm
Hi Deepika,

It may vary by the program, but generally the part time and full time admissions process is different.

For the scenario 2, I have seen people switch from full time to part time once they have started the program (e.g. if they were to take a full time job with their summer employer).

Part time programs are not ideal for career switchers, because they generally don't offer the same level of job hunting support, and you will have less time in general to devote to the job search (since you will be working and attending school at once).

Product management and strategy are definitely MBA friendly career paths.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting