severe text anxiety! Advice?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

severe text anxiety! Advice?

by Grad2Be985 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:47 pm
Hey all,

All of this test prep is bringing back awful SAT memories! Back in the day my family and I dished out tons of money for SAT private tutoring. I was scoring around the 1300 range and went to take the test and received a surprising 1100. Meanwhile, I took the ACT’s the day after junior prom and scored a 33 (a very good score).

So why all the SAT/ACT talk? Cause ever since then I have developed a pretty bad test anxiety. In college I was able to manage, although mostly because I convinced myself that what I got as a score didn’t matter in the long run (which isint true, but it helped).

Even though I did this, I still have/had a very difficult time taking tests and studying. While just reviewing material I become very anxious, cant concentrate, become all flustered and need to walk away. All I focus on is how critical the test is, and that I need to do well in order to succeed.

The tests are WAY worse themselves (freshman year I had a panic attack in an advanced calc class. The professer/TAs helped me out of the class because I was having trouble breathing - it was mortifying.)

Okay, so here is my question – WHAT DO I DO?? Even studying for this test gets me freaked out. I have tried “putting it into perspective” and “not worrying” but its truly no use. I am clearly an emotional test taker – and the worse I worry the worse I do.

Anyone else have a similar severe test anxiety and was able to score over a 700? I have GPA that is on the lower 20% of top MBA programs and I really wish to counter that with an awesome GMAT score. I have a lot of management/leadership experience, several awards, and worked all throughout college as the owner or my own business. I would hate to put a bad mark on all of that with a disproportionate score. (Plus I don't want to study for months just to do poorly)

Thanks!

Grad2B

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:29 pm
Hi Grad2B:

Thanks very much for your question. I recommend reading this great MGMAT article on stress management as a starting point: https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4167

It sounds like you've been trying to actively address your problem with anxiety for a while. I know that you had already attempted "to put things in perspective," but I really urge you to try this again! Given the information you've provided, it sounds like you are a great MBA candidate. Even if you were to perform somewhat poorly on the GMAT, you seem to have lots of other factors to make you a competitive candidate for admissions. Also, as you know, the GMAT is by no means indicative of your future business success. In fact, you've already proven yourself as a capable businessman by effectively running your own business; very few people have been able to achieve this!

Just know that you have a community here to support you through your GMAT prep process--we are interested in seeing you succeed, so don't hesitate to ping us for questions.

Have you taken a GMATPrep test yet? If not, this would be a nice data point to have to see how much work is required to get to your desired score.

Good luck, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing you do well on the GMAT!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bates88 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 am
I would strongly recommend going to see a psychologist or psychiatrist about it, in all seriousness. S/he can help you do one or both of two key things: resolve the fears behind the anxiety, or prescribe medicine to calm you down. In the past I've taken a beta blocker to calm anxiety, and it worked very well. But this strikes me as more of a fear that's become out of control, and a therapist could really help you.

If you don't know the names of any therapists near you, call your regular doctor or even the mental health "hotline" your employer might have.

Also, keep an eye on your diet. Certain foods can worsen anxiety. Things high in sugar, preservatives and caffeine can trigger anxiety.

Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:27 pm
Very solid advice, bates.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school