Last minute tips.

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Last minute tips.

by beatthegmat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:16 pm
aditya wrote:Hello,,
I am going to face the actual gmat on 10th of this month.I am not tensed at all but at the time of verbal section i cant hold my cool & calm nature & got frustrated.
I have finished gmat powerprep software.I have given both the practice test quite several times & I always found that evertime it throws some unknown questions.
My question is that,am i going to get same type of quetions in the actual exam??
Another matter,,I have heard that the first 10 questions are very important & one should spend more time in the first few questions than those of last questions.what should i do??

Hope for the best..ok.
Regards.
Aditya........
Hi Aditya:

You're at the home stretch!

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but you should expect the questions on the GMAT to be similar to your experiences with GMATPrep and OG. With regard to your second question--the myth regarding the first 10 questions is just a myth. There's been plenty of discussion about this in the past (do some searching in the GMAT Strategy forum area). On test day, just focus on each question, one by one, and don't waste time trying to guess how you are scoring...

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend putting some flashcards together. Write down the concepts/questions that have been giving you problems and review these flashcards every day prior to your test.

Otherwise, just relax and be confident in the hard work you've put in to prepare for this test! Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 pm
Go into the test knowing that you WILL be given questions you cannot do. The test has thousands and thousands of questions from which to choose and part of the test's goal is to find your limit. It will succeed - you won't be able to do everything. Recognize when the test has "beat" you and let those go!

And just to reiterate what Eric said, it's absolutely a myth that the earlier questions are more important. DO NOT spend more time on those. The myth started because some guys did a research study a long time ago showing that our scores would improve by 20 points if we got the first 7 questions in a row right BUT the study methodology assumed that you would NOT spend any extra time to get those 7 questions right. The study further showed that your score would go DOWN if you had to guess on 4 or more questions towards the end b/c you spent more time at the beginning.

In other words, the people who now say "spend more time at the beginning" didn't actually read the study methodology, because the score improvement shown in the study assumed that you would NOT spend more time.

The real study result is "The score improves if you get the first 7 questions right without spending extra time" - which is not a very useful piece of advice, is it?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me