Best way to use MGMAT SC

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Best way to use MGMAT SC

by sethisankalp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:57 pm
I have recently started preparing for GMAT and plan to take it by mid June.

I wanted some advise on what is the best strategy for SC, considering I am not a natice english speaker and am in no hurry for to give the GMAT and can spend all the required time and effort to ace the section.

I bought the Manhattan SC book, after I saw myself struggling with OG SC questions, however I am not sure what is the best way to use the Manhattan book.

After each chapter it provides a list of questions that are in the OG on that topic, but does it make sense for me to do those questions as I am reviewing the study material? Would it not be more helpful if I review all the material first and then attack the questions. The latter would challenge me to figure out what each question is testing, while in the former strategy I obviously know what is being tested and will make the questions look easier????

I am already through half the questions in SC in the OG, should I do the other half following the MSC book chapters or as a test after all the chapters.

Any advise will be much appreciated, I feel SC is the most challenging area and if these are the two important books then using them the right way can make a lot of difference on the outcome.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am
I would suggest going through the Manhattan guide after you have gone through a general english grammar book. After you have gone through an English grammmar book go through the manhattan guide. After you go through the Manhattan Guide the first time, go th rough it a second time and this time do the problems from the official guide.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sethisankalp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 pm
- Thanks for that response, a few follow-up questions

1) What grammar book are you suggesting?
2) When you say go through the book a second time and then answer the OG questions do you mean answer them as I go through the chapters, or do I do them once I have finished reviewing the material a second time.

I think you mean the former, but still want to make sure.

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm
sethisankalp wrote:- Thanks for that response, a few follow-up questions

1) What grammar book are you suggesting?
2) When you say go through the book a second time and then answer the OG questions do you mean answer them as I go through the chapters, or do I do them once I have finished reviewing the material a second time.

I think you mean the former, but still want to make sure.

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
If you can get grammar guide from the library I would do that. If not buy "Doing Grammar"

In terms of going through the book a second time, do the former
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:12 pm
ill also add that since grammar is a lot of rules... make notecards for yourself. this has helped me tremendously and i smile every time i recall something from a notecard while im going through problems or reading something... ie.. remembering NOT ONLY...BUT ALSO..... vs. NOT...BUT.... the little things
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants