Essay question - my contribution to a college

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi Amy,

In questions about a candidate's contribution to the college, is it ok to mention things like an interest in alternate healing therapies like aromatherapy or Reiki?

I have been practicing these for 2 years now and I don't want colleges to think I am into mystical or occult-like stuff :)

So I was wondering if it would be okay to say that I would like to form a Reiki club in college and teach people the principles or get grandmasters from outside to speak to them etc etc.

Thanks
mlapse

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 pm
Hi mlapse,

I'm not entirely sure if that would work for you - I think this may just be an area where you should use your best judgment.

I'm not comfortable giving you a straight yes or no answer - I don't think it will come across as occult, but I'm also not sure if it's relevant to your application. It sounds like you have spent a lot of time studying these subjects, and perhaps if you have done something leadership oriented involving them it would be compelling.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by momentary_lapse » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 am
Thanks Amy,

Sorry . I was referring to the specific question from the LBS application. They ask for a particular club which I would like to lead and how I would align it and communicate the objectives to the LBS community.

I thought a Reiki club would be a different thing which I could mention would help LBS people by reducing stress and developing a positive outlook.

It will help people from all backgrounds and interests come together through Reiki shares and seminars which I will arrange with Reiki masters in London.

The club could be extended to the alumni of LBS and their friends which will help in networking and developing contacts. possibly recruitment.

I thought this would be a distinguishing idea which could actually help students and faculty alike. The key theme for LBS seems to be student involvement. I looked through their website and the clubs dont seem all career focussed.

Would it be better to try to start an initiative which is industry specific or education/job related?

Thanks
mlapse

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:07 pm
Hi mlapse,

The reason I hesitate to comment on questions about something as specific as an essay topic is because it really is quite qualitative and context dependent. A great topic can translate to a poor essay and vice versa, so what works and doesn't is subtle.

From what you added, your approach sounds reasonable to me. I think starting a club that involves something you have actively been involved with and are an expert in is great, and tying it to how it will help LBS is also great.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by momentary_lapse » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:56 pm
Thanks a lot Amy!