Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by manasi_sh » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm
Hi Stacy,
Can you please have a look at my profile and tell me what to do about it.
I am planning to Pursue MBA from US and will apply for the FAll'08 session. I will be writing GMAT on 1st November'07.

I am pursuing a Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Communications from ICFAI University, Kolkata, which is UGC approved. It is a One-Yr Distance Learning course. I have taken up this course in order to complete a 16th Yr of education.

I graduated from St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, India with a BBA degree and got a 1st Class.(We don't have GPA system in India). While at college I did summer internships in two places:
1. Tata Martrade International Logistics Limited(TMILL)(In HR Dept.)
2. Dipak Corporation(Marketing and Sales executive)

I do not have a professional work experience as I joined my Family Business after graduation. In June 2008 I will complete one year.
I know I do not have the needed number of years but still could you please help me out.

Thanking You
Manasi Shah

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:46 am
Hi Manasi Shah,

You do have work experience, even if it's with the family business. It will be important to communicate what you have done in the business in terms of management and leadership. Why do you want to go after only one year of work? Do you plan to return to the family business?

I would see how the GMAT works out for you before deciding on schools, your goals will also have an impact on that decision.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by manasi_sh » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:44 am
Hi Amy
Thank you for replying. Well yes I intend to return to India and resume my work. I am worried because I dont have the necessary amount of work experience and so there are chances of rejecting my application. If I get a score anywhere between 620-700, then will the universities consider my application for the Full-Time MBA?.

Waiting for your reply.
Thanking You

Yours Truly
Manasi Shah

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am
Hi Manasi,

The schools consider every applicant carefully, and there is no requirement for work experience at most schools now, it's just a general guideline that most students have a certain amount.

It really depends what schools you are targeting and what your GMAT come out as before you can ask how likely your chances are. 620 to 700 is a huge range. The closer to 700 (or over) you can be, the better.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting