Profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by dineshra » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:01 pm
Stacy, Can you please evaluate my profile? I would also appreciate it if you could please tell me what my realistic chances are.

Indian Male, 24, US Citizen

Undergrad - Ivy Engineering - GPA 3.3

GMAT
650 (M 48/ V31) -- Sept 2007
650 (M 49/ V29) -- July 2007
660 (M 46/ V34) -- July 2006

Work Experience - Work(3+ years) for a Big 4 Consulting firm. Been promoted once to "Consultant". Worked across multiple industry engagements for several fortune 500 companies. Strategy & IT consulting. Led threads and modules of projects. Lead severl office wide initiatives.

Community Service - Led several program outside work. Great stories to tell in essays.

Reason for B-School
Switch careers from Consulting to Entreprenuership

Target schools??:
Sloan -- Is this a stretch? I'm quite positive that I'd be a great fit here. However my GMAT is below the school's median (700). What other schools I be looking at?

Please let me know.
DR

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 am
Hi dineshra,

It sounds like you have a decent undergrad record and some strong work experience, and it's great to have a leadership role in activities outside of work. However your GMAT is fairly low for a school like Sloan. Have you considered taking a prep class like Manhattan GMAT? It's still worth applying I think, but if you need to go this year you may consider adding schools like Cornell or UT into the mix.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dineshra » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:51 pm
Amy,

Thanks for your advice. I just feel like taking the exam for the 4th time is too much. I think I can better devote my energies toward a stronger application package (essays, cover letter, recos). I've heard from Adm Directors that 3 times is the ultimate max.

Thoughts?

DR

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:31 am
Hi dineshra,

I would agree that spending more time on the GMAT with little return may not be worth your time. If you could increase it substantially (700+) I think they would overlook the 4 times you took it, but only you know if you think that is possible.

It's definitely important to focus on the other aspects and just try to submit the strongest overall application you can.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting