Kindly evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kindly evaluate my profile

by softpro » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:33 pm
Hi Stacy/Amy,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the outstanding work that you have been doing through this forum. I went through quite a few threads where you have evaluated the profiles and given your views; thanks a lot for all the help so far! :)

I would sincerely appreciate your views on my profile and the schools I have chosen for pursuing an MBA. I have provided the relavant information pertaining to my background below. Please let me know in case you need any further details which you feel would help you in making a fair assessment.

I graduated from a reputed National Engineering college (one of the top 10 in India) in June 2005, majoring in Electronics and Communication Engineering. My Undergraduate GPA : 3.4.
For the past two years, I have been working in the IT sector with an MNC. I will be applying for the session starting in Fall 2008.

GMAT : I took the exam last week and got a 740/97% (QA 50/95%, VA 40/89%, AWA 4.0). To be honest, the AWA score was an absolute shocker! Both the essays were pretty well organized, so I am not really sure what went wrong. I have also taken the TOEFL and the results are expected in a few days.

Extracurriculars : Pretty decent during college days, business plan competitions, and organizing cultural fests etc...but no major leadership positions held in college. After college, I have been a part of the cultural committee at work.

Work Exp. : I was promoted after working for a year, which is the norm at the company I work for. I was recently asked to take over a module which had two people at the time. Since then, I have put in some process improvements which have reduced the work and now, only one person is needed for the job. For this, I was also awarded by the client. I have also completed the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification.

Community Service : I have no experience here, and I realise that this could prove to be a problem.

I am looking at setting up something of my own by the time I graduate from business school. So, I am considering Entrepreneurship or General Management as my major. Keeping that in mind, I have shortlisted the following schools for application this year:

1. UCLA Anderson
2. USC Marshall
3. Babson College
4. University of Maryland
5. McCombs, UT Austin

I am throughly impressed with the extent to which some of the above schools are willing to go in helping budding entrepreneurs. Could you please let me know what you think about my overall chances of admission? Also, could you tell me some other schools which you feel I should apply to?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi Moderators,

Would it not be more convenient if all the posts for profile evaluation (like this one) were to be put under just one thread? Stacy/Amy can post the replies in that one thread keeping the username (of the person asking the query) in the subject of the reply. That way, if someone a few months down the line was looking for the same stuff, he/she wouldn't have to look for a bunch of posts.

What say?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:08 am
Hi softpro,

Your overall credentials are good for those schools. This is unusual for me to say, but I would advise adding a few slightly more competitive schools to your mix. Your lack of post college extracurriculars is problematic, but otherwise you may have a strong profile (depending on essays and recommendations). Perhaps Haas or Wharton would be decent schools to consider for a possible "stretch."

Your AWA is not a concern - it's fine, and the AWA is far less important than the rest of the GMAT.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by softpro » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:18 am
Hi Amy!

Thanks a lot for your response! I really appreciate it. I will probably apply to Haas as well.

Thanks again!

Softpro