OK, here is an interesting profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OK, here is an interesting profile

by b00ndgl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:30 am
Hi Guys:

First let me start by thanking you for taking the time to provide guidance to people such as myself. Now on to the good stuff:

I'm 30 years old, with about 102 months of work experience (IT - not programming, but infrastructure). I have been promoted steadily at each company I have worked at - to the point of running a team of 6 for 2 years. I am now running my own shop.

I have taken the GMAT twice (530 first shot, 620 second shot (35Q, 39V)) and will probably take it a third time. I started my undergraduate degree at a top U.S. engineering school, where my GPA was lackluster ( < 3.0 - at the time I didn't see the need to sell my soul to the GPA gods in order to do well)....Left school before graduation to start my career. I subsequently finished my undergrad at a lesser known engineering school (fully accredited) where I graduated at the top of my class (3.8 GPA).

I have also won an award for my leadership skills while manning the helm of my previous employer (This wasn't a company-wide award, but rather a prestigious geographic specific award for which hundreds of people were nominated). I am also a Lieutenant in my local fire department.

I am looking at Columbia and NYU only (MBA with a focus on Entrepreneurship and Real Estate). Given the weaknesses in my application (low GMAT and low undergrad GPA first time around), do you think I should wait until I score higher on the GMAT?

One other little nugget: I am currently pursuing a M. Eng. degree at a much higher ranked school (expected GPA this semester is 4.0 with a full credit load) than where I finished my undergrad, so should I wait until next year to get another degree under my belt?

I know you guys don't have a crystal ball and I also know that I won't know for sure unless I apply, but I'd rather not blow $500 on applications that have little or no chance in succeeding (The anxiety makes feel like I am trying to ask the prom queen out for a date) so any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my mindless meanderings.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:07 pm
Hi b00ndgl,

I'm sure it's not news to you that your GMAT is a bit low for both of those schools. I'm not as concerned about your GPA, because you ended on a high note with a 3.8 and are pursuing another degree that you will do well in. Your work experience is also great, although applicants with a background in IT are quite common.

I would say your chances are fair for admission, and it's probably worth applying to see what happens. You have a mix of strengths and weaknesses like most other applicants, so it's not a sure thing, but it's also not impossible.

You might also consider part time programs given your work experience.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by b00ndgl » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 am
Hi Amy,

Thank you for your input. I am going to take the GMAT again (and prepare for it this time). We'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Mike