Profile evaluation and recommendations

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhaygupta » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:57 am
Hello Stacy

I was going through various posts and found your advise to be invaluable. I would heartily appreciate if you evaluate my profile and provide me with some recommendation/feedback.

GMAT: 730, 96% [V-40, 89% Q-49, 89%] : Aug'07, Attempt 1

Academics: UG: Computer Engineering [78%-first division with distinction] : top 5 rank holder
12th - 90% - First
10th - 86% - Top 5

Govt. merit scholarship recipient for 4 years

Job role: I am working for software division of a financial MNC in India as an Information Security Consultant for past two years; [will be 3 yr by the time most colleges start, i.e., Sept'08].

Managerial exp: Leading a small team of 2 trainees. On paper managerial experience: 0, but have been involved significantly in managerial activities, because of a small team size. Essentially, doing an equal or more work than my formal manager. Also conduct training

International exposure: No formal international exposure* but have been frequently interacting with international clients on telecon/videocon, etc] for about 1.5 years now. * Only visited UK once, for a week, to attend a conference.

MBA choice: General management or specialization in finance or consultancy; long term goal to setup my own venture, but not sure, in which domain. Only specific objective doing MBA right now is: Switch career and gain industry exposure.

Extracurricular:
Member of the cultural committee in the company and department club in the college. Good at swimming, quizzing and debating. Occasional community service and volunteering.

Language known: English, Hindi , French (Intermediate)

School selection:
Can't afford the US schools, so selected the following (considering my maximum borrowing potential):
(i) HEC, France [ Excluded INSEAD for expense reasons]
(ii) Nanyang Singapore
(iii)Manchester Business school
(iv) Said business school-Oxford
(v) Judge business school-Cambridge
(vi) ISB-Hyderabad

Questions:
Q1. Is my school selection OK? Do you recommend any other school.
Q2. Which school do you think will realistically accept me?
Q3. Specifically, do you think that Nanyang is a good business school terms of placement and international exposure?
Q4. Finally, how does a scholarship essay differs from a normal essay, and what should be salient points of any scholarship essay.

Best Regards
Abhay

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:52 am
Hi abhaygupta,

It looks like you have strong academics and some good work experience to discuss. Make sure to highlight the community service and volunteering you do.

Cost is a difficult constraint, I probably would have added INSEAD to your list, but given the cost issues you seem to have chosen well. I think you have a strong chance at each of the schools you listed, if you can communicate your application well. Nanyang is not a school I am personally familiar with. I don't think it is very well known here. The UK schools may be a bit better in terms of reputation in the US, because at least they have a strong overall brand.

Scholarship essays should answer the question in a clear and compelling way, so they are similar to regular essays.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhaygupta » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:24 pm
Dear Amy

Sincere thanks for a quick turn-around and encouraging reply and kudos to beatthegmat and Stacy Blackman consultancy for providing us an excellent opportunity :-D

I will ensure that I bring out the best in my essays and hopefully get an admit to one of the selected schools.

One last question:
I understand that you are not too familiar with Nanyang, but given a choice between Nanyang and NUS, which school will you prefer (given that FT reports Nanyang to be much higher than NUS, Nanyang is about 40% cheaper, and Nanyang garduate probably get more salary than NUS, as reported by FT)

Best Regards
Abhay

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:14 pm
Hi Abhay,

I think you answered your own question - if you think Nanyung is higher ranked, cheaper and has better post graduate salaries it sounds like a better option. If those are the criteria that are important to you, that is, but it sounds like they are.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Profile evaluation and recommendations

by jelt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:35 pm
abhaygupta wrote:Dear Amy

Sincere thanks for a quick turn-around and encouraging reply and kudos to beatthegmat and Stacy Blackman consultancy for providing us an excellent opportunity :-D

I will ensure that I bring out the best in my essays and hopefully get an admit to one of the selected schools.

One last question:
I understand that you are not too familiar with Nanyang, but given a choice between Nanyang and NUS, which school will you prefer (given that FT reports Nanyang to be much higher than NUS, Nanyang is about 40% cheaper, and Nanyang garduate probably get more salary than NUS, as reported by FT)

Best Regards
Abhay
Hi,

I'm from Singapore, and I think there's no difference between the two schools. If you really wanted a good school in Singapore, try INSEAD Singapore. That's a cut above NUS and Nanyang, and reasonably cheap, compared to GSB Chicago in Singapore.