Need direction fast, for Columbia ED

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need direction fast, for Columbia ED

by maolivie » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:04 pm
I just took the Gmat and scored a 640 47-Q 31-V.

I'm disappointed with my verbal score, but I hope it is made up with my strong AWA score. A month ago I scored a 560 with a 6.0 AWA, but this was the day that my dog was put to sleep and I knowingly went into the test without saying goodbye to him so that affected that performance.

I want to apply to Columbia ED by Oct 10th. Do you think I have a shot?

Here are my stats:
-Currently a senior in college - cumulative GPA 3.0 thus far (schools: naval academy prep school to NYU to Stony Brook University)
-Economics major
-Varsity lacrosse and captain at the naval academy prep school
-Elected platoon commander at the naval academy prep school
- I have been working for the past 2 years at UBS Investment Bank as a financial analyst in compliance - close to 30 hours a week. I was offered a full time job after college, but would rather continue my education.
-I also have another job as a manager at my uncles restaurant, 3 nights a week
-I also own my own business. I created a website based on investing education for traders. The source of revenue is mainly from advertisers. All the content is of my own. This business has been around for the past year and it focuses on technical analysis of the markets
-On top of all of this I am a full time student that is trying to pay off college (thus my not so over-achieving GPA). It is hard to juggle studying with all of the above when there is literally no time after taking an early train to the city, rushing back home on a train after work at UBS, then going to work again at the restaurant, and then attending my business.
-1 recommendation from the executive director of Compliance for north america from UBS whom I work for, and another from another friend of mine at UBS that works right below that director.
-I'm hispanic (if it matters)

I want to get into finance to turn my current business, into an actual profession by trading on Wall Street. I want to get on the sales side of fixed income trading.

I'm applying to Columbia Early Decision, NYU, Yale, BC, and BU.

Do you think I have a shot at any of these, or am I shooting too high?

Do you need any other info?

Thanks,
Mark

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:16 pm
Hi Mark,

That's a huge improvement, congratulations! Unfortunately, your verbal score won't be mitigated by the AWA, since it is of limited importance in the evaluation process. Strong essays will certainly help though.

I'm biased against going for an MBA immediately after college - I think that the experience of being in the work force is radically different than college, and it's important to know what you need to know before you return for an MBA.

However, if you are set on going right now, I would probably advise you to apply despite any GMAT weakness and see what happens. Your chances at NYU and Columbia may not be incredibly high, but BC and BU seem reasonable.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by maolivie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:23 pm
Interesting response.

Even though I have been working 3 years so far at a top bank in the world you don't think it is suitable? I work there 30 hours a week and by no means is it an internship.

I also own my own business which deals with trading and quantitative finance.

And I also work nights at my uncles restaurant as a manager, and have been doing that for the past 2 years.

So naturally I think this would affect my GPA and GMAT since my time to study is limited. But you don't think that some of these qualifications would stand a chance with others that apply that are my age that may have a higher gmat but no great work expereince/entrepreneurship skills?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:43 pm
Hi maolivie,

When do you sleep, by the way?

I think your work experience is a strength, but your academics are a weakness. Rarely is any applicant perfect, but the expectations for the small number of college seniors admitted are a bit higher, especially for academics.

As I said, I would recommend going ahead and seeing what happens. I don't really see any downside since you can always reapply with some full time work experience under your belt.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by maolivie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 pm
Well, I will apply to Columbia and NYU. And that is what I will be explaining in my optional essay. Clearly there are not enough hours in the week for me to focus on my academics, and that is when I sleep. I also feel like the fact that I'm only 21 and have a big business will help since Columbia seeks entrepreneurs. Not to mention adcom states they accept anyone from a 520-790 and the majority of admitted students get a 650 - 720. I also don't think that many applicants my age have been working as a financial analyst at a large investment bank as long as I.