PhD in Biochemistry looking for MBA for Scientist

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Stacy,
I have M.Sc and PhD in Biochemistry from Australian -Tier 1 University with 2 years of predoctoral and 2 years of postdoctoral work experience. Presntly, i am working with Brookhaven National laboratory in new York. I am interested in a career transition from research to life sciences management or consulting, or VC. I planning to sit for the GMAT in December. During my postdoctoral experience, Ihave been managing a team of research assistants, carrying out independent projects. I have published 7 peer-reviewed articles in high impact international science journals and more than 10 various conference articles. I have also solved three dimensional structures of 11 proteins in a short period of 2 years. I have received several scholarships and awards, I am an active member of various scientific professional organizations.

I have done some research about MBA schools providing specialized MBA degree for life scientist. I could locate two schools:
1. Johnson school- Cornell accelerated MBA for Scientists and Engineers
2. University of Alabama's MBA for scientists (no need GMAT for PhD's)

As I mentioned above UAB MBA doesn't require MBA if one has PhD or MD degree.
Please suggest me, Is it good to do specialized MBA like these two to make a career change within life sciences industry from research to management? Are these 1 year MBA are as good as two year traditional MBA?

What about the reputation of above two schools. Since UAB's tuition is very low and they don't need GMAT, it looks better to me? but I am not sure about the reputation of this school?

Can you suggest any other business schools (outside US as well) offering MBA good for life scientist and has high impact ranking?
With my kind of profile what GMAT score I should get, if I plan to go for Top 10 schools?

You feedback would help in deciding my career path.
With Regards,
Raj

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:01 am
Hi Raj,

Why are you interested in an MBA?

It's sometimes difficult to translate academic achievements into good material for b-school essays since they tend to be quite individual and reward different qualities than a career in business would. You should think about activities and accomplishments you have had that involve management skills and leadership.

Cornell is better known than UAB - but it really depends on your goals post MBA.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Thanks very much Amy,
To answer to your first question:
I would say that I started my research career for the innovation, creativity and something that would satisfy my creative thinking. I wanted to discover something that would cure some disease etc.. However, I am finding now that this is not the case. Most of the time I am feeling not excited about what I am doing. Moreover, I think the amount of time and effort I am putting in this research is not worth enough. Last but not least the amount of money we get in research is not what we deserve? Considering my potential and personality I think bench research is not my field, I need to move in to the business side of this world. I want to be the one who decides what research should be done in life/biopharma firm to get a successful product, which would then come to the market?

I do understand that it would be difficult for me to convince admission committee, but I think I have enough leadership qualities. Once I have given my GMAT, may be I’ll send you my details and see if you can help me?. My post MBA goals are to lead a biopharma company research. I want to be the key person who can communicate to BD team as well as the Research and development team effectively.

Regards,
Rajiv

by Amy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:53 pm
Hi Rajiv,

Yes, your task will be to convince the admissions committee that you have thought about this and have a plan. But that is everyone's task, so I don't think yours is more difficult.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant

by rajiv » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:56 am
Hi Amy,
Thanks for giving your valuable opinion. I am still not sure about UAB's reputation? can you explain litle more about UAB?
If I have to choose between some outside US schools like NUS (singapore), Insead, AGSM (Australia) or ISB (india) and UAB. Which option do you think would be better? UAB or outside US schools in terms of US employers preference?

can you please explain the general outlook about UAB in the bussiness community?

regards,
rajiv

by Amy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:23 pm
rajiv,

Out of that list, INSEAD is the best known.

As I said, I'm not at all familiar with UAB and therefore I think it's not well known and not highly regarded on a national level. It may be a strong regional program, but I am not familiar with Alabama and therefore can't comment on that either.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant