How repersentative are..

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

How repersentative are..

by optimisticsam » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:11 am
I am curious.

I just took another Kaplan test and (of course) was unhappy with my score.

Now instead of just ask how this translates to actual GMAT performance, I am more interested in everyone's take on how representative the actual questions on Kaplan v. The Real Thing. That is, are these the type of questions I will be seeing on the exam come test time?

I personally feel the question are written less clear and concise than in OG, and could be "up for debate" more.

Any other thoughts on this from people who have taken the real thing v. the Kap CATs?

Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by jsackmann » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:19 am
You're right.

It's especially true with Verbal, but it's the case with math as well. That's the fundamental reason why practice tests (other than GMATPrep) don't translate well -- it isn't just too easy or too hard, it's that the questions aren't quite right.

Some people get used to the less transparent Kaplan questions and have a tough time switching over to the real thing; others have an immediate boost when they take the real thing.

--
https://www.gmathacks.com

by optimisticsam » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:12 am
Jsackk,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought this would be the case. It is just discouraging to chug thru 2 hours of Kaplan and then when I review the answers I feel they are poorly written.

Oh well, I am going to give some MGMAT ones a try...

Thanks!

I would welcome anymore replies people have on this!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bates88 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:15 pm
Either stop taking the Kaplan tests or start ignoring the scores...read through what others say here and you'll see they're not a good indicator...GMATPrep and Princeton Review tests are better for that...

by optimisticsam » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 pm
I have read they are a poor indicator of performance, however, wouldn't that be based on the scoring algorithm?

I am asking not about how repersentative their scores are, but rather, how repersentative the questions are on an individual basis. (i.e. are these questions similar to what I can expect on the actual test).

Nonetheless, thanks for your input! =)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:04 pm
optimisticsam wrote:I have read they are a poor indicator of performance, however, wouldn't that be based on the scoring algorithm?

I am asking not about how repersentative their scores are, but rather, how repersentative the questions are on an individual basis. (i.e. are these questions similar to what I can expect on the actual test).

Nonetheless, thanks for your input! =)
Just to chime in my opinion.

In general, I think that Kaplan's questions are harder than what you should expect on the actual GMAT. Princeton Review's questions are closer in difficulty to what I saw on the test, although PR's questions aren't as well written. The most representative test hands down will always be GMATPrep.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 am
In terms of individual questions that are as representative as possible of the real test, go for the real questions - GMATPrep, OG (1400 questions!) and, if necessary, the old paper-and-pencil tests. (But don't take the old paper tests as though the score will be relevant or the experience will be like the CAT - just use them as individual practice problems.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me