Please Evaluate My Profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Evaluate My Profile

by RMorando » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:33 am
Thanks in advance for your time.

I'm in the process of considering B-School applications and hope you'd be willing to evaluate my profile.

Caucasian, US citizen, 29 years old, Male.

Undergrad: Graduated in 2001 for Northeastern University with a degree in Business Administration, concentration in Finance. Graduated with High Honors and a 3.75 GPA (4.0 scale).

Extras:
1. Walked on to the University's Division I Track & Field team. Was elected team Captain in my 4th year. Won All Conference, All New England and other honors.
2. Was elected to a team representing the University to compete in a city-wide case study competition. Took 1st place in 2000. Competed again in 2001 and also took 1st place.

Academic/Extras allowed me to win the University's Professional Promise Award from the Business School. Award given to one student from each School based on recommendations from professors.

Post Undergrad: 6yrs work experience in a variety of roles.
1. Worked for a private equity firm right out of school. Assisted in creating a $25 million venture capital fund in Southern New England. Evaluated business plans, invested in companies and sat on the Board of one company as an Observer. Successfully sold one Australian-based VPN company for $16mil to a US company (invested $2mil in the company, realized solid ROI). Promoted from Analyst to Associate. I was in this role for almost 2.5yrs.
2. Are VC job worked as a Strategy Consultant specializing in the telecom/media industry. Worked for large wireless companies in US and abroad. Also assisted in developing a research study on new wireless broadband technology. Was in this role for 1.5yrs.
3. Tried to dive into wealth mgmt for UBS. Received Series 7/66 licenses. Assisted small businesses in their cash mgmt needs. Was in the role for 1yr.
4. Currently serve as a Business Turnaround Professional. I'm typically hired by creditors to save failing companies - manage cash, negotiate terms with vendors, realign work force, cut costs, etc. When company cannot be saved we assist with bankruptcy procedures. I've received the CIRA designation (Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor). I've been in this role for 1.5yrs.

My goal would be to attend a Top 10 B School in the US then to return to my existing position in the turnaround industry with a stronger network and improved credentials.

I've recently begun studying for the GMAT and hope to take the exam in December. If my score is decent I'll try to apply in R2 of the application process to Harvard, MIT and Wharton.

Based on my profile above, what GMAT score do you think I'll need to be competitive? Also, what areas of my profile should be highlighted or strengthened in the application process?

Thanks again for your time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 am
Hi RMorando,

You GPA in undergrad is strong, so a GMAT score around the mean for your target schools should be enough for you.

You have interesting work experience and it sounds like you have been quite successful, which is great. Your college extracurriculars are decent. It doesn't sound like you have many extracurriculars since college, so that's an area of concern. I would wonder how well rounded you are, since the case competition was a major undergrad activity and that is very "professional." Make sure to highlight some of your non-work personal qualities and demonstrate how you are unique.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting