Please evaluate my Profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my Profile

by rishformba » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 am
Hi Amy,

I am an Engineering graduate from India. I would like to get my profile evaluated. I would also like to get a few suggestions on the universities i could choose with my profile. At my score, targetting the 30- 40 ranked universities seems realistic

GMAT: 620 - Q: 46; V: 30;

GPA: 7.95/10 (Among top 25-30 in College - Birla Institute of Technolgy, ranchi, BE - Electronics & Communication Engineering

Work Experience: 26 Months in Wipro Technologies, India
Includes 6 months experience in Alcatel-Lucent, Belgium
1 month in Alcatel-Lucent, Chennai

Awards and Career Highlights:
1. Was awarded the BEST CAMPUS RECRUIT AWARD BY WIPRO
2. Consistently awarded for my performance in the Project (Almost every quarter)
I have been awarded for my all-round contribution to my project.Good feed back from client
3. Was asked by the client to give training. Gave training to a batch of 7-10 people(all of them more experienced than I am) for 1 month at Client office in India.
Training was well received by the client
4. Was the Chief System Integrator for 2 Months in the Project( Handles the quality of the official deliverables given to the client)
.Actually i was pushed into this role( I was completely new to this area) as their was an escalation by the client regarding the Quality of deliverables which were made earlier.
My work was appreciated.This involved regular interaction with client( mainly the managers).
Here, i also lead a small team of 2 people.
5. I have always taken additional responsibilities such as giving value adds ,Defect Provention and mentoring fresh trainees.

6. My academics were good in school days also. Got several awards
7. NCC (nationall caded Corps) cadet in college: NCC aim"To create a human resource of organised, trained and activated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life including the Armed Forces and always available for the service of the nation"

Extra Curricular:
1. college : Posts of secretary and similar posts in several societies : Like IEE, HAM
2. Team manager of the second placed team in College fest ( though i dont have any certificate to show for the same)
3. School: Lots of awards in Art,quiz contests (state level)

Thanks,

Rishabh

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:18 am
Hi rishformba,

It looks like you have strong work experience and GPA. Your extracurriculars could be stronger and more recent, but are decent. As you probably already know, your GMAT is the main weakness. Have you considered taking it again?

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rishformba » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:40 pm
Hello Amy,

Thanks for the feedback.
I think i can improve my score. But my only concern is i woudnot be able to give GMAT again before november or early december this year as there are no dates available.( I gave GMAT on 17th September) This means i would not be able to meet the first deadline of several colleges. I have heard that one should try to meet the first deadline to have maximum chances of getting through.

Will the targetting of 30-40 ranked universities be a safe bet ?
Rice university
Rottman
Purdue
Austin
cornell

Thanks ,
Rishabh

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:42 am
Hi rishformba,

I think those schools may work out for you, depending on how well you are able to communicate your work experience, goals, etc.

One thing you may want to look into is whether the schools you are applying to would be willing to consider an updated GMAT score after the deadline. Some do, some don't - but calling each school directly is the best way to find out.

Also look at the sticky thread in this forum regarding R1 vs R2.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting